How to Make Basic Clothes Look Good
Basic clothes won’t look boring if you know the right styling tricks. From playing with textures and fabrics to knowing how to pair different items — even the smallest details matter. 5-Minute Crafts has prepared 8 tips to assist you in this.
1. Add layers.
Make your simple outfit look more elaborate by combining several clothes together.
Step 1: Gather your favorite inner layers, like vests, tank tops, and blouses from thinner fabrics to make sure you feel comfortable and don’t look bulky. You can also use several inner layers from thinner fabrics.
Step 2: Add outer layers, like jackets, coats, and sweaters. They should be easy to remove and allow your inner layers to be seen.
Step 3: Add accessories like scarves, hats, bags, and jewelry to balance out your look.
- You can layer clothes of several shades of one color, like shirts, hoodies, and coats, and match them with your shoes.
- Add one bold color to an all-black outfit.
- Pair a crop top with a bomber jacket.
- A mini dress can be paired with a cardigan.
- Put on some nice socks when wearing heels.
- Add a long sleeve shirt under a summer dress.
2. Change the way you style your shirts.
Play around with how you wear your clothes. For example, instead of just letting your shirts loose, try to tuck them in your jeans. This will spice up the way your figure is seen, make your waistline more defined, and just give you a more neat look. You can also tie your shirts in a knot to make your style more playful.
3. Use rolls and cuffs.
4. Don’t forget about the bag.
A bag that stands out can turn a plain outfit into a chic look in no time. Crossbodies, big totes, and fashionable unique items will help you in this. If your clothes are of a neutral color, then pair them with a bag of a contrasting bold color.
5. Reveal some skin.
An instant way to look more feminine and attractive is to unbutton your shirt. Leave just 1-2 buttons unbuttoned, tuck it into your jeans or pencil skirt, add an elegant piece of jewelry around your neck, and you’re ready to go.
6. Combine different fabrics.
Using clothes of different fabrics and textures will easily make an outfit visually more interesting.
- Choose neutral textures, like denim, cotton, leather, and suede. They match and pair nicely with other fabrics that stand out more.
- Choose the look you want to achieve depending on a specific occasion. Different materials summon specific associations. For example, denim brings a relaxed vibe to almost every look, so you can use it to make your outfit less official. While silk makes the outfit be more luxurious, use it to make your outfit more sophisticated.
- Pay attention to colors. If you stick to a limited color palette, it will allow you to play more with different textures without spoiling the way you look.
7. Invest in accessories.
Extra elements are crucial to a plain, understated outfit. Luckily, there are lots of options that can suit you well, like:
- Layered necklaces
- Silk scarves
- Statement earrings
- Hair clips
8. Pay attention to the details.
Pay attention to how different items need to be worn since some don’t pair as well. For example, flat shoes beneath the ankle, like loafers, ballet flats, sandals, and sneakers, usually imply that your ankles need to be revealed. On the other side, low, wide pants and skirts can make you appear shorter and give a frumpy effect to your look.
Tip: When showing your ankles, make sure to wear the right pair of no-show socks.