How to Make a Bed From Wood Pallets
Wood pallets can help you to quickly make various furniture pieces, all while having the minimum of tools and materials at hand. For example, apart from pallets, you’ll only need a couple of dozen screws and a few fasteners to make a bed with a headboard. Not only does this help to save money, but also to reuse things which shows a responsible attitude toward natural resources.
We at 5-Minute Crafts has listed instructions for assembling a bed from wood pallets. And at the end of the article, there is a small bonus that will be interesting for dog owners.
6 wood pallets
2 angle bracket fasteners
4 connecting plates
fine-grained emery paper
a screwdriver and screws
An important note: It’s recommended to use only wood pallets that have a HT marking on them. This means that they have been safely heat-treated with hot air.
Assembling a bed from pallets
1. Put the pallets in the place where you plan to have your bed. Lean 2 of them against the wall, spread the rest on the floor, as shown in the photo above.
2. Sand the wooden surface with emery paper so that it becomes smooth. If there are any protruding nails, remove them or hammer them so that they don’t protrude anymore. Vacuum clean the dust and sawdust around the pallets and between the wooden plates.
3. Use connecting plates to attach the pallets to each other.
4. First, place the screw in the middle of the plate.
5. Then secure the plate with screws on the sides.
6. Use angle bracket fasteners to fasten the pallets that are leaning against the wall with the ones lying on the floor. First, use the screws at the base of the bed, then on the headboard.
7. It’s ready! If you want you can use a bigger amount of angle bracket fasteners and connecting plates. It will make the construction stronger.
8. Now put a mattress on the pallets and make the bed. Leave protrusions on the sides — they will serve as bedside tables.
Tip: Use the space in the headboard and place garland lights with warm lighting. It will add a certain coziness to the space. Lamps and photo frames can be attached to wooden slats at the edges of the bed.
Bonus: How to make a bed for a dog from a pallet
1. Take a wooden pallet and cut a little less than half of it along the line indicated in the photo above.
2. Close the pallet on the sides with the help of wooden plates.
3. Fasten the parts together with the help of screws, making sure that their tips don’t stick out on the other side. At this stage, you can sand the wood with emery paper so that it becomes smooth.
4. Make a stencil with the dog’s name on a piece of paper. Stick it on the front outer wall of the bed.
5. Paint the letters. Use non-toxic paints, like paints for kids.
6. Place hay or any other natural filler in an old pillowcase. Spread it evenly inside to make the bed comfortable.
7. It’s ready! Place the pillow inside the bed. Place it in the area where your dog likes to sleep.