How to Make a Crayon at Home
Many people like making crafts using crayons to capture their colorful ideas. If you’re concerned about the chemicals used to produce them and prefer to make them yourself, 5-Minute Crafts is showing you how to make colored crayons using organic materials. This is an activity you can easily enjoy with children. We also wanted to show you how to recycle crayon waste to make new ones.
What you’ll need to make one crayon:
- 6 eggshells
- 1 tablespoon of wheat flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of food coloring (several colors)
- 1 mortar
- 1 empty container of glue or an empty lip balm stick (a mold of 4 grams to 5 grams)
1. Place the eggshells inside the mortar. Make sure they are completely free of liquid or any yolk residue.
2. Grind them with the pestle until they become a fine powder. If you don’t have this instrument, place the shells inside a Ziploc bag and grind them with a kitchen mallet. You can also use a kitchen hammer.
3. Pour the flour over the ground shells.
4. Pour in the water, little by little.
5. Add the colorant of the color you want your crayon to be. The more color you add, the more intense the crayon’s hue will be. To make crayons of different colors, repeat steps 1 through 4, then add different colors to each batch.
6. Stir it well with a spoon until all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
7. Pour the mixture into a plastic bag, make a small cut on one end of it, and fill the mold with the mixture.
8. Cover and allow it to harden for at least a couple of hours in order for the mixture to fully settle.
What you’ll need:
- Split crayons of different colors
- 1 kitchen lighter
- 1 empty container of glue or an empty lip balm stick (a mold of 6 grams to 8 grams)
- Sort the broken crayons by color and place them in separate glass containers. With the help of the lighter, melt them until they all become liquid.
- Pour the liquid of each color inside the mold. Choose the order of colors you want. These will mix together and you’ll get a multicolored crayon.
- Let it sit and dry for about 45 minutes before using.