How to Make Laundry Detergent and Fabric Softener at Home
More and more people prefer to use organic products at home. Another option is to use products you can make at home. That way, you know exactly what they’re made of and can customize them according to your needs.
That’s why today, 5-Minute Crafts wants to show you how to make liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener with ingredients we all have at home. Don’t forget to read the last section of the article where we mention a few things you need to keep in mind when using these homemade products.
What you’ll need:
- 1 gallon (5 L) of water
- 1 bar of laundry soap (about 200 g)
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
1. Grate the soap bar with a regular kitchen grater to get soap flakes.
2. Bring half of the water (2.5 liters) to a boil in a large pot. Once it starts to boil, add the grated soap, little by little, and keep stirring it to make sure it mixes well.
3. Stir it well until all the soap is completely dissolved.
4. Then pour in the vinegar and keep stirring so that the ingredients are well-combined.
5. Place the baking soda in a large bowl or container.
6. Slowly pour the soapy water into the bowl or container with the baking soda. The mix will start to foam, but that will only last a few moments, don’t worry. Stir well.
7. Add the remaining 2.5 liters of water to the mixture and stir it well.
8. Transfer the soap to a container for storage.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups of water (about 500 ml)
- 1/2 cup of vinegar (about 125 ml)
- 1/3 cup of baking soda (about 66 g)
- 6 drops of essential oil in your favorite scent
1. Mix the white vinegar and the water. Stir it well until everything is well-combined.
2. Pour the water with the vinegar into a large bowl and add the baking soda in small portions so that the effervescent effect doesn’t cause things to suddenly fizz out of the bowl.
3. Stir the mixture very well and make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved. Then add the 6 drops of essential oil and mix it again.
4. Once the fabric softener is prepared, transfer it to the container where it will be stored.
A few things to keep in mind:
- To extend the life of the soap, always keep it in a closed container or bottle.
- Use the homemade fabric softener only with white or light-colored clothes. The baking soda used to prepare it may bleach darker fabrics. Don’t use it with black or brightly colored clothes.