Step-by-Step Guide to Making Your Own Scrunchies
The scrunchie was all the rage in the ’90s and now it’s back. It is the ideal thing to use to put your hair up in a bun or ponytail. The best thing is that you can make them at home without much effort, with just recycled pieces of fabric, thread, and a needle.
5-Minute Crafts will show you a step-by-step guide to making your own scrunchies quickly and easily.
- Sewing thread
- Fabric scraps
- Hair ties
- Cut the fabric scraps into rectangles, according to the diameter of your hair ties.
- If the hair ties are large, they can be 18 in x 6 in (45 cm × 15 cm) rectangles. If they are smaller, cut the rectangles in approximately 12 in x 5 in (30cm × 13 cm) rectangles.
- Choose the appropriate rectangles and thread the hair ties inside of their corresponding scraps.
- Bring the corners together and start sewing.
- Sew along the edge around the fabric scrap with a basting stitch so that the fabric gathers.
- Leave the end unstitched so you can turn the fabric inside out when finished.
Once finished, carefully flip the fabric over so the seams aren’t showing.
Sew the ends that are still loose.
Your scrunchie is ready! Now make a few different colors to match your clothes.