How to Ask Your Partner to Marry You
Asking your partner to marry you can be one of the most exciting and most daunting experiences ever. And it’s no wonder, this moment should be special for both of you. So, 5-Minute Crafts has highlighted some ways to propose to your spouse-to-be, from an at-home proposal to a full-blown surprise proposal, to make this day unforgettable.
- Before you plan, make sure that you both have marriage on your mind. Discuss the future with them, saying that someday you’d like to get married and ask if they see marriage in their future as well.
- You also need to meet their parents and ask for your partner’s hand in marriage. You can say something like, “I love your son/daughter very much and we’d love to spend the rest of our lives together. I am about to propose to him/her, and it would be an honor if you could be a part of this amazing moment.”
- Now, you need to get a ring for your beloved. We suggest taking note of what style they’d prefer, or you can ask their close friends or family, browse Pinterest boards, or simply ask your jeweler to narrow down the choices for you. When it comes to sizing, find a ring they regularly wear and take it to your jeweler or you can put it on yourself in order to try to guess the size.
- As soon as you get the ring, keep it safe, and get it insured.
- Your proposal speech can mention the best things about them or the moments that made you realize that your beloved was “The One,” or you can also add your own inside jokes and jargon that makes your relationship special. Make it short and sweet and end it with the, “Will you marry me?” bit.
- After your speech is ready, you need to find the perfect moment and venue to plan the entire proposal. You also need to gauge your partner’s preference, would they be comfortable with an engagement party after the proposal? If not you can simply go with the private one-on-one celebration.
Ideas for proposing to your partner at home
- Put up glow-in-the-dark stickers on your ceiling that spell out, “Will you marry me?”. Then get into bed, turn the lights off, and see their surprised reaction.
- Put up fridge magnets that spell out the special question and ask them to go get a snack. Then stand behind them, kneel on one knee, pull out the ring, and wait for the gasp.
- Tie up one end of a satin or velvet ribbon from one point of a room to the other. Paste or attach tiny notes of the best memories you both have had throughout the relationship along the way. Let your partner find their way to the end of the ribbon to find a ring in that spot.
Ideas for destination proposals
- Plan a romantic vacation with your beloved. When you’re on the plane, you may want to get the flight crew’s permission to use their loudspeaker system, explaining your plan to them. If they agree to let you use the system, propose to your partner on the plane.
- If you both are a fan of hiking, climb up to the top of the mountain and pop the question. Just make sure you both stay safe and keep the ring safe too.
Ideas for proposing in public
- Ask a street caricature artist to sketch a picture of the 2 of you. Plan the surprise in advance and ask them to draw a word bubble that asks, “Will you marry me?”
- Ask a diver to hold up a “Will you marry me?” waterproof sign inside their biggest aquarium tank, and then you can stand in front of the aquarium, as if you’re feeding the fish, then surprise your partner with a ring when the sign shows up.
- Publish a full-page ad in a newspaper that pops the question, and then take your partner to a perfect relaxing spot to catch up on current events. Their reaction when they see the ad will be totally priceless.
- Call up a radio station, and make sure that your partner is listening to the same one, then propose to them on air.