5 Ways to Keep Ginger Fresh for Longer
There are several ways to preserve ginger and keep it fresh for as long as possible, from refrigerating it to baking it. And 5-Minute Crafts is showing you several ways to do it. At the end of the article, you’ll find a bonus feature that shows you how to grow it at home.
With this method, you can preserve ginger for up to 3 weeks.
- Do not peel the ginger — wrap it well in napkins.
- Take a Ziploc bag and put the ginger inside of it.
- Place it in the refrigerator, not in the freezer, but in the drawer where vegetables are kept.
Remove the peel from the ginger.
Grate it and wrap it in plastic wrap or paper napkins.
Put it in a Ziploc bag.
Store it in the fridge where the vegetables are placed.
Note: Prepare portions in several bags so you don’t have to take it all out each time you want to use it.
- Remove the peel from the ginger and grate it.
- Pour a cup of oil into a baking dish that you can put in the oven, and add some grated ginger.
- Bake it at a temperature of 150°F (65 °C) for an estimated 2 hours.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down.
- Once it’s cold, strain it, and pour it into a bottle.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into slices.
- Place it on a plate or in a container that you can put in the oven, keeping the slices separated.
- Microwave it for 90 seconds.
- Remove it from the oven. The slices should be dry and crispy.
Note: With this method, the ginger pieces may lose some of their properties.
5. Sugar coating
- Remove the peel from the ginger and cut it into thin slices.
- Place it in a pot with water over high heat until it boils.
- Lower the heat and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove and strain.
- Place 3.5 oz (100 g) of sugar in 1.7 fl oz (50 ml) of water and put it over low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ginger to the syrup.
- Leave it on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Take them out and pass them through a plate with sugar. You can store them in a glass container, in or out of the refrigerator.
Bonus: how to grow ginger at home
- Cut the ginger into pieces and soak it for a day. This way, it will absorb the moisture it needs.
- Remove it, place it in a pot with soil, and cover it.
- It’s important to water it frequently, every 2 or 3 days.