8 Ways of Making Lentils
If you always cook lentils the same way, but you don’t want to remove them from your menu because they are cheap and healthy, we have good news for you: there is not just one way to prepare them. This legume is very versatile and adapts to many dishes, both hot and cold ones. Therefore, you can eat them all year round. 5-Minute Crafts wants to share with you 8 different ways to prepare them so that you can enjoy this healthy dish without getting bored.
1. Lentils burger
- Mix 100 grams of cooked lentils (slightly overcooked) with the same amount of cooked rice. Add one egg (optional), one chopped onion, pepper, chopped parsley, 50 grams of bread crumbs, and salt, to taste.
- Knead the mixture until all the ingredients are perfectly combined. You can also use a food processor to obtain a more uniform and smooth mixture.
- Take a big spoonful of the mixture and shape them into a ball. Then, make sure you have wet hands and flatten the ball into a wheel shape to form a patty.
- Cook the lentil patties on both sides in a frying pan or in the oven with a little bit of vegetable oil.
- Make your burger and serve with all the add-ons you like.
2. Lentil salad with shrimp
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups of cooked lentils with half a cup of peeled walnuts and one cup of kale (or any green vegetables you prefer or that you have at home). If you want, you can add 100 grams of chopped bacon.
- Dress the salad with lemon juice, oil, and salt, to taste.
- Clean about a dozen shrimp (you can also use frozen shrimp, already cleaned) and sauté them in a little oil.
- Place the shrimp on top of the lentil salad and serve.
3. Lentils with baked cauliflower
- Place one cauliflower cut into pieces in a baking dish. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a cup of chicken broth.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 170°C (350°F) for approximately 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Heat a cup and a half of cooked lentils with some of the chicken broth. Mix them with a pinch of paprika, half a cup of chopped onion, and half a cup of chopped tomato.
- Serve the lentils on a big platter and place the baked cauliflower on top. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
4. Lentils with rice
- Sauté 2 cups of rice together with a chopped garlic clove in a little bit of oil. Let it brown for about 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add one and a half cups of lentils that you have soaked for 8 hours (or overnight). Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of hot water.
- Cover the pan and cook for half an hour over low heat (or until the rice is tender).
- Serve lentils with rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
5. Lentils with chorizo
- In a pot fry 2 cloves of garlic and a chopped onion. Add a carrot, cut into cubes, and a chorizo sausage, cut into slices. When browned, add a cup of lentils.
- Stir-fry everything together for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth or hot water to cover the ingredients, along with a pinch of cumin (optional).
- Let everything cook together for half an hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Season the preparation with salt and pepper to taste and serve while it’s still hot.
6. Lentil tacos
- In a pot sauté an onion in a little olive oil. Add 100 grams of lentils and spices of your choice.
- Cover the ingredients with vegetable broth. Cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- Heat the corn tortillas. Fill them with some of the cooked lentils and add avocado, queso fresco, tomato, or whatever you prefer.
- Dress with the sauce of your choice and serve.
7. Lentils, tomato, and olive salad
- Cut 4 tomatoes, one onion, one green bell pepper, and one carrot into small cubes. Place everything in a bowl or salad bowl. Add 60 grams of pitted olives cut into slices.
- Add 300 grams of cooked or canned lentils. Dress the salad with vegetable oil, chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
8. Lentils with pasta
- Cook 200 grams of pasta of your choice (the shorter the pasta, like penne or farfalle, the better) as you always do. Drain and place it in a bowl. Add 60 grams of greens, a tomato, and half of a chopped onion.
- Add a cup of cooked or canned lentils. Season with salt, pepper, and vegetable oil. Mix everything very well. Serve hot or cold.