9 Types of Foods That Can Regrow Themselves
Many people consider food scraps to be useless, so they throw them in the trash. If given a second chance, they can regrow and be used again. By doing so, you are reducing waste and helping the environment while also saving money and avoiding unnecessary trips to the grocery store.
5-Minute Crafts will show you what foods can be regrown and how to do it.
1. Green onion
To grow a green onion, you’ll need a cup of water, a light source, and a white bulbous section with the roots still attached.
- Cut the onions 1-2 inches (2.5-5 cm) above the white bulbs.
- To eliminate extra dirt, carefully rinse the bulbs and roots under running water.
- Put them in a tiny cup and add a small amount of water to keep the bulb at the surface.
- Position the cup near a window. You’ll have to change the water every 2-3 days.
For regrowing a pineapple, you’ll need a ripe pineapple, a potting container that is 6-8 inches (15-20 cm), a knife, a glass jar, and potting soil.
4. Put the crown in a glass container filled with warm water. Do a water change every couple of days. After a few weeks, the root should start to grow.
5. When the roots have reached 3 inches (7 cm) you should pot the pineapple. Put the pineapple in the pot that you have previously covered with soil. Fill up some dirt around the plant so that the pineapple crown juts from the top. Place it in indirect sunlight until it starts to new grow roots and green leaves. After that, put it in full sun and water it when the soil gets dry.
To grow this vegetable, you’ll need some celery, a knife, and a small container.
4. Carrot greens
To grow these, you’ll need vegetable carrot tops, containers, water, and a place where you can plant the carrot.
- Put a carrot top in a container with the cut side down.
- Pour 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water into the container — just enough to cover the top.
- Then put the container on a sunny windowsill. You’ll have to change the water daily.
- Plant them in the soil after they sprout, but make sure you don’t cover the shoots.
To successfully regrow this plant, you’ll need basil, a container, water, and a pot.
- Choose a few 4-inch (10 cm) stalks of basil.
- Using a sharp blade, remove all of the leaves off about 75% of the stalk.
- Place the stalks in a small container filled with water in a not-too-hot sunny spot. You’ll have to change the water every other day.
- After some time passes, the roots will start to grow. Replant the basil in a 4-inch (10 cm) pot when it grows to be 2 inches (5 cm). In this stage, the plant should get at least 6 hours of sunlight per day and regular watering.
For regrowing this plant, you’ll need cilantro, a container, water, and a pot.
7. Garlic sprouts
Even though you can’t cultivate garlic bulbs, you can try growing garlic sprouts. The things you will need are a jar, bowl or cup, water, cloves, a sunny location, and something to cut off the stems.
- Put the bulb in a small jar, bowl, or cup.
- Pour in enough water to cover the bottom of the jar. Don’t submerge them because they will rot. You’ll have to change the water every other day and position them in a sunny location.
- The bulbs will begin to grow roots after several days. Sprouts can reach up to 10 inches (25 cm). Cut off the stems when they’re around 3 inches (7.6 cm) tall.
To regrow this vegetable, you’ll need potato halves and a place where you can plant the potatoes.
- Cut the potato in half and make sure each half has at least 1 to 2 eyes.
- Allow the bits to remain at an ambient temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C) overnight or for several days until dry.
- Plant the potato pieces one foot apart in 8 inches (20 cm) of soil after they have dried.
- They can be harvested for a couple of months.
Lettuce is an easy vegetable to regrow. You will need a couple of things, like a container, a sunny area, and a place where you can plant it.
- After you’ve used up the heart of the lettuce, keep the bottom part.
- Put it in a container that has ½ inch (1.2 cm) of water.
- Then place it in an area that gets a good amount of sunlight. You’ll have to change the water daily.
- Sprouts will appear after several days. Then plant the sprouting hearts in the garden.