How to Boil Eggs the Right Way
Cooking a boiled egg isn’t rocket science, but we have to be familiar with some rules to get the creamy consistency of the yolk, and make the whites firm and the peeling easy. 5-Minute Crafts understands the difficulties you may face, and we’re ready to help you navigate through this process.
Step 1. Take a deep pot and put the eggs in it.
- Make sure you distribute the eggs evenly at the bottom of the pan, and that they don’t stack on one another.
- You shouldn’t put the eggs too close to each other to help them cook more evenly.
Step 2. Pour cold water in the pot to fully cover the eggs.
Step 3. Place the pan over high heat and wait for the water to boil.
- You need just to bring the water to the boiling point, but don’t let it actually boil.
Step 4. Cover the pan with a lid and turn off the heat.
Step 5. Let the eggs stay in the hot water for a while to get fully cooked.
To be fully cooked, generally, you should keep your eggs (medium-sized, taken from the refrigerator) in hot water for about:
- 4 minutes — for a soft-cooked yolk
- 6 minutes — for a medium-cooked yolk
- 11 minutes — for a hard-cooked yolk
Note: The size of the egg and the temperature of the egg at the beginning of the cooking process also affect this time. You’ll have to wait 1 minute longer for large eggs, and 2 minutes longer for extra-large eggs. If you store the eggs at room temperature, they’ll require about 1 minute less cooking time.
Step 6. Place the eggs into ice-cold water for 1-2 minutes.
- This way, you’ll stop the cooking process, and it’ll be easier to peel the eggs.
Step 7. Peel the eggs and wash them in cold water.
- Tap the eggs against a firm surface and clean them.
- After that, wash the eggs in cold water to remove all the small parts of the shell and dry them.
Note: Don’t panic if you see a green film on the egg yolk.
If you notice a green film, the egg is still okay to eat. It just means that you’ve overcooked the eggs. The longer you cooked the eggs (for example, for 40 minutes), the more visible and bright the color might be.