How to Make Beef Broth
During cold days or when you simply want to feel the warmth of home, there’s nothing better than a steaming cup of beef broth. This recipe, which is popular in Mexico and Latin America, is very versatile and can change according to the region and even the person making it. For example, if you don’t want to use corn, that’s okay. But in any case, what doesn’t change is the fact that this dish is rich in nutrients because of how many vegetables it contains.
5-Minute Crafts wants to show you a quick and easy recipe that you can prepare with ingredients you likely already have in your home.
- 3 liquid quarts (3 liters) of water
- 2 large chunks of beef with bone (approximately 3.5 cups)
- 1 garlic bulb
- A couple of bay leaves
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt
- 4 white potatoes, cut into pieces
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 corncobs, cut into pieces
- 4 cups of green cabbage, cut into pieces
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 1 large lime, chopped (optional)
Pour 10 cups of water in a large enough pot along with the beef, garlic, chopped onion, bay leaves, and salt to taste. Cook until it comes to a boil.
When it starts simmering, remove the foam that forms on the surface — that’s the fat from the meat and it is important to remove it. Cover the pot, lower the heat, and let it simmer for an hour to an hour and a half until the meat has softened.
Once you’ve checked that the meat is tender, remove the bay leaves and the garlic bulb. Add the potatoes to the pot along with the carrots and corn. Pour in the remaining 2 cups of water. You can taste the broth to see if it tastes okay or if it needs more salt.
As soon as it comes to a boil, lower the heat and continue cooking until the potatoes are soft; you can check that by pressing on them with a fork.
5. When the potatoes are done, remove the corn and meat from the broth and place them in a bowl. Cover it to keep everything warm.
6. Now add the chopped green cabbage. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until the cabbage has softened. Remove the broth from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.
7. Serve the broth in a bowl, adding the corn and a large piece of meat.
8. Add cilantro, lime, or some chopped serrano chile to taste.