How to Make Burger Buns
While hamburgers are one of the most popular foods in the world and making them at home is fairly easy, there’s a fundamental part that is disregarded most of the time: the bun. To have a proper homemade burger, making a nice bun is always a good idea, and it’s actually fairly easy.
5-Minute Crafts shows you, step by step, in a simple way, how to prepare homemade hamburger buns.
- 5 oz (250 g) of flour
- 1/2 tsp of dry yeast or 1.2 tsp of fresh yeast
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 heaping teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup (200 ml) of warm water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) of warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 oz (80 g) of butter
- Sesame and poppy seeds for decoration
1. Sift the flour over a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the center and sprinkle the salt and sugar around the edges. In the center of the well, add the yeast, butter, milk, water, and eggs.
3. Mix the ingredients well. Sprinkle the table or the surface you’re working on with flour and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it becomes elastic and no longer sticks to your hands. If you notice that it is too soft and sticky, add a little more flour and continue kneading.
4. Put the dough in an oiled or buttered bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
5. Let the dough rest for approximately one hour. Wait until it rises to double its size.
6. When it’s ready, transfer it from the bowl to the table, sprinkled with flour, and knead it again — but very gently so you release any air bubbles that may have formed while it rose. Then, shape it into a round.
7. Slice the dough into equal parts.
8. Shape the buns by wrapping the edges of the flat dough toward the center.
9. Knead the buns by rolling them over the table, but make sure you’re not pressing them too much or flattening them. You have to shape them into balls.
10. Place them on the baking dish spaced from each other, and flatten them just a little bit.
11. Cover them with a baking sheet and let them rise again until they double in size.
12. When you see that the dough is ready, brush the top of the buns with eggwash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
13. Place the tray in a preheated oven at 380ºF (200 ºC) and bake for 12-15 minutes, always keeping an eye on them so as not to burn them.
14. When you see that the buns have turned golden brown, take them out of the oven and let them cool down on a wire rack. You’ve got burger buns!