How to Make Ketchup
Ketchup is a popular sauce made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and other spices. And now we’re going to find out how to make ketchup ourselves.
5-Minute Crafts is sharing a recipe for making ketchup at home. It will taste very similar to the ketchup that you regularly buy at the supermarket.
- A medium-sized pot
- A spatula
- A fine strainer
- A blender
- Containers for storing
- 800 grams of tomato mash
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- A finely chopped, medium-sized onion
- Grated garlic
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp of allspice
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
How to make it
1. Heat the oil in the pot at medium temperature until it starts boiling. Then add the onion and keep it there for 5-8 minutes until it becomes soft, and stir it with the spatula. Add garlic and keep frying for 30 seconds.
2. Add the tomato paste and tomato mash, sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, and other spices. Stir all the ingredients well and make the mix boil, then reduce the heat to a minimum. Keep boiling the mix, stirring it for 45-60 minutes until it becomes thick.
3. Put the ketchup into a blender and purée it until it has a homogenous texture.
4. Wash and dry the pot and put a fine strainer on the top. Pour the ketchup into the strainer and use a spatula to grind it more.
5. Taste the ketchup and add more salt and spices if needed. After that, pour the product into the containers you prepared and put them into the fridge. You can store the ketchup for 3-4 weeks.