How to Make Lollipops at Home
You don’t have to buy candy at the store to treat your child to something sweet. You can make wonderful lollipops at home for your loved ones.
5-Minute Crafts knows how to make homemade lollipops out of simple ingredients.
What you’ll need
Ingredients for 4 to 5 portions:
- 10 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water or fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Food coloring and sweet toppings (optional)
- Vegetable oil to grease the molds (optional)
- A small pot (preferably a heavy-bottomed one)
- Lollipop molds
- Lollipop sticks or toothpicks
- A spoon
1. Pour the sugar into the pot, and add water and lemon juice. Stir it. If you want lollipops of different colors, add food coloring to the water first.
2. Place the pot on the stove and boil the mixture over low heat until it covers with bubbles and the sugar gets completely dissolved. When the mixture is smooth and clear, pour the resulting syrup into the molds. The cooking time depends on how powerful your stove is. On average, the whole process takes around 8 to 10 minutes.
Important: The sugar mixture is easy to either undercook or overcook, so you should constantly check if it’s ready. The easy way to do this is to leave a drop of syrup on a smooth surface and check its condition after 20 to 30 seconds. If the drop turns out to be soft and viscous, the mixture isn’t ready. If the drop becomes hard or close to it, it’s time to remove the pot from the stove.
3. Grease the molds with oil, add sweet toppings to decorate the lollipops, then gently pour the mixture into the molds.
4. Approximately 1 minute later, put the sticks into the molds.
Important: If you use toothpicks, cut off the sharp ends with a knife beforehand.
5. Wait until the lollipops have completely hardened (this takes about 15 minutes), and then remove them from the molds.
Option: You can also make hard candy. Use deeper molds and increase the period of time it takes for the candy to harden.