How to Make Mole Verde (or Green Mole) Step-by-Step
Mole verde (green mole) is a typical Mexican recipe and can be combined with chicken or pork. Although it has a large amount of ingredients, its preparation is simple. 5-Minute Crafts shows you how to make it in 5 steps.
- 14 oz (400 g) of green tomatoes
- 4 Serrano peppers
- 1 ½ cups of roasted green pepitas (or pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup of roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup of onion, diced
- 68 fl oz or about half a gallon (2 liters) of chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of lard
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 spinach leaves
- 6 radish leaves
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- 3 leaves of lettuce
- 2 sprigs of Jesuit’s tea, also known as Mexican-tea or epazote (leaves only)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. Add lard to a frying pan and add the onion, garlic, green tomato, and Serrano peppers.
2. Stir in the green pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and peanuts until golden brown. Add the chicken broth and cook for 15 minutes..
3. In the blender, pour what you’ve sautéed and add the lettuce, cilantro, radish, spinach, and epazote leaves. Then blend until the sauce is homogeneous.
4. Place a frying pan over low heat and when it’s hot, add the remaining butter and the mixture resulting from the blender. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and leave it until it boils.
Bonus: Chicken in green mole
You will need:
- 6 pieces of chicken
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ onion
- Salt to taste
- Green mole
- Rice (optional)
How to do it:
- Place a pot with 68 fl oz or about half a gallon (2 liters) of water to boil and add the garlic, onion, chicken, and salt to taste.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the heat.
- Add the chicken to the mole and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, to taste.