How to Make Potato Chips at Home
Homemade potato chips are a delicious snack for a party or a movie night. You just need 3 ingredients and less than an hour of your time to make this dish. 5-Minute Crafts wants to share with you 2 ways to make crispy, flavorful potato chips at home.
What you’ll need:
- Vegetable oil (preferable, olive oil)
- Other seasonings, like pepper, paprika, herbs (optional)
Method 1. Fried potato chips
Step 1. Slice the potatoes.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. You can leave the potato skin to add more texture to your chips.
- Slice the potatoes thinly. You can use a mandolin slicer, a food processor, or just a very sharp knife. Your goal is to make your potato slices as even as possible. The thinner your slices are, the crispier they’ll be.
- Make sure you put the slices into cold water right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- When you’re done slicing, drain the water and wash the potatoes 2-3 times until the water runs clear. You should do this to remove the excess starch and make the chips crispier.
Step 2. Soak potato slices in salty water and dry them.
- Refill the bowl filled with potato slices with water and add about a tsp of salt. Let the potato slices soak in this mixture for about 30 minutes. When the time is up, rinse the potatoes again.
- Remove the slices and let them dry completely. You can use kitchen towels or paper towels for this. This way, the potatoes will be cooked more evenly and the oil won’t splatter.
Step 3. Fry the potato slices.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to 350°F to fry the potatoes. It’s better to use a pan or pot with high and thick sides to prevent oil from splattering. To check and see if the temperature is high enough, put a dried potato slice into the oil and if it starts to sizzle right away, but does it gently, the temperature is perfect.
- Fry the potatoes in small portions until they turn golden brown on both sides. It should take around 3 minutes per portion.
Step 4. Drain the potato slices.
- Let the potatoes drain. Spread them on a paper towel or on a cooling rack set. Then add any seasoning that you like, like salt, black pepper, or paprika. Keep in mind that the potatoes will become crispier as they cool down.
Step 5. Enjoy your meal.
- Homemade chips taste best the day you make them, but you can store them in an airtight container for 2 days and they’re likely to maintain their crispy texture.
Step 1. Slice the potatoes and add olive oil.
- Wash, peel, and slice the potatoes as described in Method 1 above.
- Put the potato slices in a bowl, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, and mix the slices with your hands to distribute the oil evenly.
Step 2. Put the potato slices on a baking sheet.
- Put the potatoes slices on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper in one layer. Make sure the slices aren’t placed on top of each other and that their edges just slightly touch.
- Add salt or any other seasoning of your choice.
Step 3. Bake the potato slices in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and put the potatoes inside. Bake them for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes become golden brown.
- Keep an eye on the potatoes the whole time because they may burn easily, especially if the slices are thin.
Step 4. Let the chips dry and enjoy your meal.
Remove the baking pan from the oven and add more seasoning if you like.
Let the chips cool down to room temperature before serving them.