How to Make Red Rice
If we talk about Mexican gastronomy, one of the most classic dishes we can mention is red rice. It can be found in the menus of comida corrida and is one of the most popular side dishes in Mexico to accompany other stews.
5-Minute Crafts is showing you, step by step, how to cook this Mexican rice without failing along the way.
- 1 ½ cups of rice
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Some onion
- 1 lb (½ kg) of peeled peas
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 tsp of powdered chicken bouillon
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
1. Soak the rice in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
2. After that, strain the rice.
3. Pour the oil into a saucepan and allow it to heat up.
4. Brown the rice for a few minutes until it changes color.
5. While the rice is browning, grind the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a blender.
6. When the rice is browned, pour and strain the tomato mixture into the pan.
7. Add the carrots and peas.
8. Add the chicken broth and salt to taste.
9. Add the 3 cups of water and stir to mix the ingredients. Add the jalapeño peppers.
10. Cover the pan and cook until the liquid is consumed and the grains of rice are fully cooked.
11. Serve as a main dish or as a garnish.