How to Make Rice for Sushi
Sushi and its main ingredient, rice, are part of one of the culinary treats that many people appreciate in and outside of Japan. So much so that the urge to have some can sometimes drive us out of control. That’s exactly why it is a good idea to learn how to make this at home.
5-Minute Crafts shares an easy recipe for you to make sushi rice at home and customize your sushi rolls according to your preferences. Please bear in mind that our recipe might vary from the original Japanese recipe.
What you’ll need
✅ 2 cups sushi rice
✅ 2 cups water
✅ 2 tbsp rice vinegar
✅ 2 tbsp sugar
✅ 1 tbsp kosher or regular salt
Step 1: Wash the rice
- Place the 2 cups of sushi rice in a bowl and cover them with cold water.
- Use your hands to gently shake the rice until the water turns whitish.
- Discard that water and repeat the procedure 2 or 3 times, until the water becomes more translucent.
Step 2: Bring it to a boil
- Place the washed rice and 2 cups of water in a pot over high heat.
- Bring it to a boil without covering the pot. When it’s finally simmering, lower the heat to the minimum, and cover the pot.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes. When the time is up, remove it from the heat, and let the rice rest for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Make the rice sauce
- In a bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Microwave at full power for 30 to 45 seconds.
Step 4: Season the rice with the mix
- After letting the rice rest, place it in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing you prepared earlier made of vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Stir all the rice so that each grain is coated with the dressing.
- Let the rice cool down, until it reaches room temperature, before serving.
Step 5: Enjoy your sushi rice!
It’s time to eat the rice! You can serve it with fresh or sautéed vegetables, or protein cooked with soy sauce and a little sesame oil. Sushi rice is very versatile, so you can eat it with whatever you like or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can prepare maki rolls and sushi.