How to Make Vegan Milk: 7 Ways
Plant-based milks are an excellent alternative to regular cow’s or sheep’s milk if you want to change your diet to a vegan one or if you need to replace animal milk due to allergies or intolerance to its components. However, these drinks can be difficult to find and very expensive depending on where you live.
5-Minute Crafts has compiled 7 recipes that you can easily use to make alternative kinds of milk.
1. Rice milk
- ½ cup cooked brown or white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 4 dates or sweetener to taste
- Mix the rice and water using a blender. Mash the grains completely.
- Strain the milk using a fine mesh strainer or a piece of gauze. If you want the milk to be thick, you can omit this step.
- Pour the milk back into the blender and add the dates until blended.
- Store your rice milk in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
2. Canary seed milk
- 2½ cups of canary seed for human consumption
- 1 l of water
- Soak the canary seed in 2 cups of water overnight. Then, strain and rinse.
- Blend the seeds together with one liter of water.
- Strain until all the liquid is extracted.
- Pour into a glass bottle or container with a lid and place in the refrigerator. Consume your canary seed milk within 4 days.
3. Soy milk
- 1 cup cooked and peeled soybeans
- 1 l water
- Blend the soybeans together with the liter of water.
- Strain very well in a strainer or piece of gauze until you get milk.
- Transfer to a glass bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
4. Coconut milk
- 2 cups of grated coconut
- 1 l of hot water
- Transfer the grated coconut and water to a blender and blend thoroughly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes and strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer or a piece of gauze.
- Store your coconut milk in a bottle or container with a lid for up to 7 days.
5. Hazelnut milk
- 2 cups shelled hazelnuts
- 1 l water
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Soak the hazelnuts overnight in 1 liter of water.
- Blend the hazelnuts and vanilla in 1 liter of clean water.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Store the milk in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 3 days.
6. Walnut milk
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 liter of water
- Soak the walnuts for at least 8 hours to remove the bitter taste.
- Wash and blend them together with 250 ml of water. Add the rest of the water a little at a time as you blend.
- Strain with a piece of gauze or a fine mesh strainer until all the milk is extracted.
- Store in the refrigerator in a closed glass bottle for up to 3 days.
7. Quinoa milk
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 cups of water
- 4 dates
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Blend the cup of quinoa together with the water until completely crushed.
- Strain the milk through a fine strainer or a piece of cheesecloth.
- Pour the milk back into the blender along with the dates and cinnamon, and blend.
- Transfer to a covered container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.