How to Make Whipped Coffee
Whipped or Dalgona coffee is a creamy, delicious, and very photogenic drink from South Korea that has won the hearts of many internet users. You only need 4 ingredients to make it, and 5-Minute Crafts will show you how.
For 2 servings, you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee. You can’t make whipped coffee with ground coffee because this way, you’ll have to brew it first and you won’t get the desired result. You can use any brand of instant coffee you like, except for 3-in-1 instant coffee.
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. You can use any type of granulated sugar (white, brown, coconut, etc.). If you want to add less sugar or not use it at all, you still can make whipped coffee, but the mixture won’t be as fluffy and won’t retain its “airy” texture for long.
- 2 tablespoons of hot water. You can also use cooler water, but you’re likely to finish whipping the mixture faster if you opt for hot water.
- 2 glasses of milk. You can choose any type of milk you want, including vegan options. Milk can be any temperature.
- Cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and other spices (optional). Add one of these ingredients, if you want to make your coffee flavored.
- Ice cubes (optional). If you want to make your whipped coffee more refreshing, you can add some ice cubes.
- Cookies, sweet sauces, ice cream, different kinds of muffins, and cakes (optional). You can add any product or its pieces to decorate your drink and enhance its taste.
If you want to make more whipped coffee, just add one more tablespoon of everything and an additional glass of milk to make one more serving.
To whip the ingredients, you’ll need a hand whisk or an electric mixer. You can also use a fork or a spoon, but it’ll be more difficult to get the same fluffy texture and your hand is likely to get very tired because you’ll have to whip for a long time.
Step 1. Mix the instant coffee, sugar, and water in a bowl.
- At this point, the mixture will be dark and look like ordinary instant coffee.
Step 2. Take a hand whisk or an electric mixer and start whipping.
- Whip with a zig-zag motion, moving your hand back and forth.
- Your mixture will start changing color and become lighter and foamier.
Step 3. Whip until the mixture becomes thicker and can keep its shape.
- Your mixture should turn into a creamy and frothy substance that is a light color, reminiscent of peanut butter. You can stop whisking when you notice firm peaks on your whisk.
- If you want to add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, or some spices, put the desired amount in the mixture at this point and whip for another 15 seconds. If necessary, finish mixing with a spatula or a spoon to help the flavoring get absorbed better.
Step 4. Pour a glass of milk and add ice, if necessary.
- If you want to add ice cubes, put them in the glass first, and then pour the milk.
- You can use hot and warm milk as well.
Step 5. Spoon the coffee mixture over the drink.
- At this point, you can add any additional ingredients, like parts of the cookies, muffins, or ice cream, to decorate your drink. Just make sure that your foam is thick enough to hold these ingredients.
Step 6. Stir everything and enjoy your drink!
- Although whipped coffee looks gorgeous, it tastes better when all the ingredients are combined. You can stir your drink with a spoon or a straw.
- If you want to make your whipped coffee sweeter, you can add more sugar or its alternatives at this point.
Note: You can store whipped coffee in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Keep whipped coffee in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- You’ll have to re-whip it again for a couple of minutes so it can retain its shape and fluffy texture.