How to Prepare 5 Quick Sauces for Your Meals
A good sauce can make all the difference in your cooking. It can take any dish to a whole new level and turn recipes that you’ve always eaten around so that you don’t grow tired of them.
5-Minute Crafts shares with you quick and easy sauce recipes that you can use to bring out the flavor of your meals, without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
1. Honey-mustard sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp of Dijon or old-style mustard
- 3 tbsp of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of honey.
- Mix until you get a smooth paste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Mexican pico de gallo
- 1 ripe tomato
- ¼ red or white onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper or 2 serrano peppers
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt to taste
- Wash the tomato and dice it into small cubes. If the skin of the tomato is too thick, it’s better to peel it.
- Finely dice the jalapeño or serrano peppers and mix them in a bowl with the tomato.
- Finely chop the onion. It’s important for it to be very finely chopped so that it doesn’t taste too strong.
- Add the onion to the mixture.
- Add the lime juice.
- Finely chop some cilantro and add it to the rest of the ingredients. You can add a dash of olive oil if you want to.
3. Tartar sauce
- 8 oz mayonnaise
- 1 oz old-style mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2 oz chives
- 1 oz pickles
- 1 oz capers
- Fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 boiled egg
- Place the capers, pickles, and chives in a food processor or blender.
- Process until they’re all finely chopped.
- Add the boiled egg to the mixture and process again.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and parsley or cilantro, and process all the ingredients until you get a sauce with a smooth consistency.
4. Teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- A glass of water
- Bring the rice vinegar to a boil. When the smell of the vinegar becomes less intense, add the soy sauce.
- Chop the garlic and ginger into small pieces.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the sauce.
- Add the sugar to the mixture, stirring well so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water until it’s completely dissolved. Add it to the sauce.
- Boil everything for a few minutes until the sauce thickens thanks to the cornstarch and sugar that you added previously. The consistency should be like that of a syrup.
5. Barbecue sauce
- 2 scallions or one medium onion
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp old-fashioned or Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 7 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A dash of hot sauce
- Black pepper and salt
- Cut the scallion into thin slices.
- Place the onion in a skillet over medium heat with a little bit of olive oil. When the onion becomes translucent, add the brown sugar.
- Stir well and cook for a few minutes until the onion caramelizes.
- Add the tomato sauce and mix the ingredients together. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, paprika, mustard, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat. Add pepper and hot sauce to taste to adjust the flavor.