How to Make a DIY Volcano
The eruption of a plasticine volcano is a spectacular show that will impress children of all ages. In order to hold this experiment, you’ll need some simple materials that everyone has at home.
5-Minute Crafts offers you a checked method to make a volcano all on your own.
What you’ll need
- A small jar or glass
- Baking soda
- Lemon acid
- Food colorant
- Dish-washing liquid
An important note: Preschool kids should hold the experiment under the strict supervision of adults.
Getting ready for the experiment
- First, you need to build the volcano. To do this, take a small glass or plastic pot that will serve as a crater.
- Build up a volcano around the future crater with the help of plasticine. Place your handicraft item on a tray or a plate for your own convenience. The shape and appearance of the volcano don’t play a big role in the experiment, which means this step is limited only by your time and creativity.
Add 1 tsp of lemon acid into 250 ml of water.
In order to get a more impressive and spectacular reaction, add 1 tsp of a dish-washing liquid into the solution.
Add a food colorant.
Take a tissue, pour 2 tsp of baking soda into it, carefully wrap it, and put it into the crater of your plasticine volcano. It’s recommended to use the tissue for postponing the reaction for several seconds.
Sprinkle some glitter and sequins on the tissue lying in the crater — they will make the eruption even more spectacular. Tell your kid to imagine that it’s solidified rock that erupts from the crater along with the lava.
Pour the solution into the crater, and watch.
The reaction will start once the tissue dissolves in the water and the solution touches the soda.
The overall experiment (preparation + creating the volcano) will take up to 2 hours.
- Lemon acid can be replaced with vinegar, but in this case, keep in mind that vinegar has an unpleasant odor.
- If you replace normal water with sparkling water, the eruption will be more active.
- Experiment with the volume of ingredients so that it becomes even more impressive.