6 Ways to Use Aloe Vera as a Beauty Product
Aloe vera is a medicinal plant whose antioxidant, regenerative, and moisturizing properties have turned it into one of the most popular ingredients in cosmetology and dermatology products. It revitalizes our skin, helps control excess oil, and could even improve the health of our scalp when used correctly.
5-Minute Crafts shows you some beauty hacks that include aloe vera and that you can use in your daily skin care and beauty routine without too much hassle. In addition, we wrote a bonus part in which we explain what the benefits are of eating its pulp.
1. Gives your face a natural matte effect
If you have an oily skin type, you can get a more matte effect by using aloe vera. Its gel helps to fight excess oil in skin without having to use any chemical product or soap.
- In a small container, place a tablespoon of aloe vera. It can be a just little bit pulp or gel that you bought at the store.
- Add a little of your foundation, about a tablespoon.
- Mix well until you get a pasty consistency.
- Apply a few drops to your face with your fingertips. Spread evenly.
2. Moisturizes your hands
If your hands are dry, you can moisturize them using only natural products. A mix of aloe vera and honey will do the trick. Its antibiotic and antibacterial properties are used in professional products to nourish and revitalize the skin.
- Place a few pieces of aloe vera in a big bowl and add 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Crush the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Keep mixing them until you get a semi-liquid consistency.
- Apply on your hands, massaging them for a few minutes. Allow the product to dry and act for about 15 minutes. Then rinse with plenty of water. You can repeat this process daily until you obtain the desired result.
3. Shapes, cleans, and protects your hair
If you need gel to style your hair, you can also just use aloe vera instead. It’s a natural way of styling it and it comes with the added advantage of eliminating excess oil from your scalp. In the long run it could also provide a softness and a natural shine to your hair.
- Cut off an aloe vera leaf and soften it with the help of a mallet.
- Take a small amount of the resulting gel with your fingers.
- Rub it through your hair, styling however you like.
- Run it from the roots to the ends. You can apply it daily as a styling gel.
4. Reduces wrinkles and facial lines
The pulp of this plant is rich in antioxidants and vitamins that help protect your skin, as well as moisturize, soften, and prevent wrinkles and fine lines on your face.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf into squares that are approximately 1/2 to 1 inch long.
- Rub the aloe vera in the direction of the lines on your face. Make sure the chunks are always facing upward.
- Move onto the cheekbone area and apply aloe vera there too.
- Using other pieces, continue rubbing the part next to your nose.
- Then move on to the forehead, but rub gently.
- Always be careful to avoid applying aloe vera too close to your eyes. Let the mask dry and act for about 30 minutes, and then rinse your face with plenty of water. You can repeat this procedure frequently at night before going to sleep.
5. Works as a styling gel for your eyebrows
If you want to groom your eyebrows and style them in a natural way, you can apply aloe vera directly, like we did in previous steps to style hair. The nutrients in its pulp could help keep your eyebrows moisturized as well.
- Cut a small piece of aloe vera and rub a clean mascara brush over its gel.
- Comb your eyebrows.
- Try to apply the gel evenly while shaping your eyebrows.
6. Heals sore skin after hair removal
Aloe vera is also a beneficial product to use when you want to disinfect and heal sore or irritated skin, like for instance, after shaving or epilating. These can be caused by cuts or wounds during hair removal, and the soothing effect of aloe is very useful to relieve them.
- Peel off the top rind of an aloe vera leaf.
- Take the leaf by the lower part, which has the rind, and rub it on the affected area.
- You can massage with delicate movements to avoid further irritation. Leave on for about 15 minutes and rinse. Repeat this process as many times as necessary until your skin heals. You can also apply aloe instead of shaving foam and shave as usual.
Bonus: Benefits of eating aloe vera
A natural remedy against heartburn and stomach pain is to eat aloe vera. The gel that this plant contains is beneficial to our health. When eating it, you could:
- Remove the rind from a small aloe vera leaf.
- Remove the pulp with your fingers or a spoon.
- Put it in your mouth.
- Chew it as you would normally do with a piece of chewing gum. If you dislike the taste, you can use mouthwash after you’ve chewed the aloe vera for a while.