7 Simple Face Masks for Oily Skin
Excess oil or sebum on the skin can be due to various factors, such as environmental conditions or the use of unsuitable products for the type of skin you have. This can cause the face to look very shiny and feel oily every time you touch it, especially around the so-called T-zone. However, there are several natural and home remedies that can help alleviate this problem. But, you should be cautious with using these masks if you experience skin irritation or have suffered allergic reactions in the past.
5-Minute Crafts has compiled 7 face masks that you can make with readily available ingredients.
1. Banana and lemon
Your skin naturally produces oil as a means of protection and hydration. If that oil is produced in excess, it might build up in your pores and end up causing acne and inflammation of the skin in general. Lemon is known for helping clear clogged pores, but be careful to not be exposed to direct sunlight right after using the mask as lemon can stain your skin in that case. On the other hand, bananas can also absorb the oil. You can make a face mask to reduce this discomfort on your skin by following these steps:
- Mash 1 banana with a fork.
- Add 10 drops of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and mix until you obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Apply to your face and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
2. Honey and oats
Oatmeal is known for properties that allow it to absorb excess oil from the skin and help soothe inflammation. It also works as an exfoliant by removing dead skin, which makes it a great ingredient to add to your DIY face masks. Honey, on the other hand, has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that could come in handy as well.
Use both natural ingredients by following these steps:
- Mix ½ cup of ground oatmeal with ¼ cup of hot water until it forms a paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and stir.
- Massage your face with the mixture for 3 minutes or leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then rinse with warm water and carefully pat your skin dry without scrubbing.
3. Egg whites and lemon
Egg whites and lemons can help tighten pores, meaning that pores that are very open could look smaller with the proper care. In turn, the acid found in some citrus fruits like lemons or limes can absorb excess oil from the skin, as we previously mentioned. There is also evidence pointing toward the idea that lemon actually has antibacterial properties, which can be beneficial for people with acne, for example.
You can make a mask for your face using the following procedure:
- Mix 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply it on your face and let it dry.
- Remove with warm water and dry carefully.
4. Almonds and honey
Almonds are a very common ingredient in beauty products. This is because they can help exfoliate your skin and absorb excess oil as well as get rid of certain impurities. In turn, honey serves as an excellent natural moisturizer, leaving your skin soft and hydrated. To prepare a mask with these ingredients you have to:
- Grind 3 teaspoons of almonds in a blender or food processor into a paste.
- Mix with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply to your face and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly.
5. Tomato and sugar
The acid found in tomatoes could help your skin absorb excess oils from the upper layers while at the same time unclogging pores. On the other hand, the texture of certain types of sugar could act as an exfoliant, which will leave your skin clean and smooth as long as you apply it correctly. Remember that you could also exfoliate your skin too much, and that will be counterproductive. If you want to make this mask, follow these steps:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sugar and the pulp of 1 tomato.
- Apply on the skin with circular movements.
- Leave on for 5 minutes.
- Remove with warm water and pat dry with a towel.
6. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is commonly used to treat sunburns as well as various skin conditions that include but are not limited to excess oiliness. Its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties make it an excellent alternative to chemical treatments that alleviate acne in an efficient and natural way.
Use this natural ingredient on your face, as follows:
- Apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel before going to bed.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Remove it in the morning by rinsing with warm water.
If you know you suffer from very sensitive skin, we recommend testing it on your forearm before applying it to your face.
7. Oatmeal and baking soda
Both ingredients contain compounds that help exfoliate your skin. This, in turn, removes dead skin cells and unclogs the excess oil or impurities from pores. To prepare a mask with these you have to:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of oatmeal and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of water to form a paste.
- Gently massage the mixture onto your face and let it dry.
- Rinse with warm water and finish with a moisturizer.