8 Tips to Repair Damaged Hair
There are multiple factors that can damage hair, leaving it dry, brittle, and fragile, such as excessive use of chemicals and exposure to the sun. Fortunately, this problem can be solved by using natural ingredients and taking a few extra steps in your hair routine.
5-Minute Crafts has compiled 8 tips to repair your hair, as long as the damage is not caused by medical conditions, such as a lack of vitamins or hormonal disorders.
1. Use jojoba oil.
Jojoba oil can be effective in rehydrating and strengthening damaged hair. This ingredient is often found in shampoos and conditioners, but if this is not the case, you can make it yourself by adding 3 to 5 drops before you wash.
Alternatively, you can apply it directly to your hair and scalp by following these steps:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil for short hair, or 2 tablespoons for long hair, in a microwave or small pot.
- Apply evenly from roots to ends and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash the hair with shampoo and conditioner, then rinse.
- If you suffer from a dry scalp or dandruff, apply 1 to 2 drops directly to the skin.
2. Try an egg and lemon mask.
Prepare a mask with both ingredients using the following procedure:
- Mix 1 egg white and half of a medium-sized lemon until fully integrated.
- Apply evenly to your hair.
- Cover with a shower cap and wait 30 minutes.
- Remove the mask using a mild shampoo. Use regularly for best results.
3. Make a rinse with apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar helps manage brittle, unruly, and dull hair, as its acidity can be beneficial by balancing the pH of the skin. At the same time, it’s rich in vitamins C and B, which promote healthy hair.
To use this natural ingredient:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 liter of water.
- After shampooing and conditioning, apply evenly to your hair, massaging the scalp.
- Leave on for 2 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Do this procedure twice a week for the best results. If the scent of vinegar is too strong for you, you can add a couple of drops of essential oil to the mixture.
4. Lower the temperature of water and hair tools.
If your hair looks dry and brittle, it’s important to avoid washing it with very hot water. High temperatures are often known to remove the natural oils found in hair fibers, worsening the hair’s condition.
At the same time, it’s recommended that you lower the temperature on accessories like straighteners, curling irons, or hair dryers when using them. If your hair is too damaged, it may be beneficial to stop using these tools altogether until you notice an improvement.
5. Use a papaya mask.
The vitamin A present in papaya can have beneficial effects on hair, such as nourishing, strengthening, and protecting it.
Prepare a mask with this natural ingredient by following these simple steps:
- Blend 1/2 a papaya, 1/2 a cup coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture to wet hair and leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Finally, wash it out with shampoo and conditioner as usual.
For the best results, integrate this treatment twice a week into your routine if your hair is very damaged.
6. Use the right products.
If your hair looks damaged, opt for sulfate-free shampoos that contain natural ingredients and that have been formulated to treat this hair condition. It’s also recommended to rinse it with cold water, as this can help close the cuticles.
You can also try a dry shampoo to avoid washing too often.
7. Apply a layer of unflavored gelatin.
Unflavored gelatin contains a large amount of protein, which is very beneficial for damaged hair. Its texture allows it to coat the strands and moisturize them.
To use it, follow these steps:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of powdered gelatin with 1 cup of warm water. Let it stand for 5 minutes to partially set.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 6 drops of essential oil, either jasmine, lavender, sage, or rosemary. Stir until blended.
- Apply the mixture to clean hair. Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water. Use once a week for the best results.
8. Prepare a mask of honey and olive oil.
Use it as a treatment by following these steps:
- Mix 1/2 a cup of liquid honey with 1/4 a cup of olive oil.
- Wash your hair and apply the mixture from roots to ends while it’s still wet. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Use this procedure once a month to keep your hair moisturized, or more frequently if needed.