How to Get Rid of a Double Chin
It’s not only weight gain but also nutrition, posture, specific skin, and genetics that contribute to the appearance of a double chin. The good thing is that everything can be corrected — you just need to put in a little effort and follow these simple recommendations. Also, there are several exercises that will help your neck to look thin and fit.
5-Minute Crafts recommends that you perform this little set of exercises every day — you don’t need any special equipment for it. Don’t forget to keep your back straight and shoulders lowered during the entire workout.
1. Warming up
- Look straight ahead. Move your lower jaw forward. You need to feel the tension in your muscles. Then move the jaw to the initial position. It’s only your jaw that should be working, not the neck.
- Move your jaw side to side, stretching your side muscles.
- All movements should be performed slowly and smoothly without sudden jerks.
⏱ Do 10 reps forward and backward and to the left and right sides.
2. The “scoop” exercise
- Open your mouth and move your head down. Imagine that you need to scoop up water with your lower jaw.
- Lift your head up and cover your lower lip with the upper one. Make sure that the corners of your lips are completely relaxed.
- Then “scoop the water” once again.
⏱ Do 7 reps.
3. Touching your nose
- Relax your lips and stick out your tongue. Try to touch the tip of your nose with it.
- Place your palm under your chin. It will help you feel how your under-tongue muscles work.
- Try to keep your tongue in such a position for a couple of seconds. It might cause a little discomfort but you’ll manage.
⏱ Do 5 reps.
4. Lifting the cheeks
- Turn your head to the right and pull your lower jaw forward. You should feel the muscles on the left side of your neck stretching.
- After that, turn your head to the opposite side and do the same.
- Hold the jaw in the extended position for a few seconds each time.
⏱ Do 5 reps on each side.
5. “Kiss the giraffe” exercise
- Imagine you want to kiss someone who is very tall. Lift your head up and look at the ceiling.
- Slightly bring your lower jaw forward and pucker your lips as if you’re going to kiss someone. If you’re performing the exercise correctly, you should feel a strong tension in your neck and submandibular muscles.
- Hold the position for 8 seconds and go back to the initial position.
⏱ Do 5 reps.
- Lean your chin against your fists.
- Begin to press your lower jaw slightly down on your fists, gradually increasing the pressing force.
- When you reach the peak of resistance, hold this position for 3 seconds.
- After that, relax and get back to the initial position.
⏱ Do 7 reps.
7. Puffy cheeks
- Inhale deeply with your mouth, and puff up your cheeks.
- Slightly press your palms on your cheeks so that you feel the tension in your muscles — create inner resistance.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds, then relax the face.
⏱ Do 6 reps.
8. The “smile” exercise
- Clench your teeth and smile as wide as possible.
- Push your tongue against your hard palate. Alternate the pressing between the tip of your tongue and its entire surface. You have performed the exercise correctly if you feel a strong tension in your chin muscles.
- Keep the tension for 5 seconds and the relaxed position for 3 seconds.
⏱ Do 8 reps for each tongue position.