How to Get Rid of Dandruff
Dandruff happens when skin cells grow and die off too fast in your scalp, which causes flakes and an itchy scalp. 5-Minute Crafts has a list of 8 natural remedies to help you say goodbye to your dandruff quickly.
1. Apply apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is said to be one of the best natural remedies to treat severe dandruff. Here are the steps that you should follow to prepare the ACV so you can apply it to your hair:
- Add equal parts ACV and water and put it aside.
- After shampooing, apply it to your wet hair.
- Massage the hair with it gently.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
2. Use green tea and peppermint oil
Green tea and peppermint oil contain antioxidants and anti-microbial properties that help your scalp get healthier and make your hair less dry or irritated. Here’s how to use it:
- Combine green tea, peppermint oil, and white vinegar.
- Massage your scalp with it for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
3. Apply aloe vera
Aloe vera is believed to be an effective treatment for seborrheic dermatitis, the condition that causes dandruff. Aloe reduces itchiness and scaliness. Here’s how to apply aloe vera:
- Use a sharp knife to cut a leaf from an aloe plant.
- Hold the leaf with the cut side facing down and allow the yellow fluid to drip out. Leave it in a cup.
- Cut away the top layer of the leaf.
- Trim away the edges of the leaf.
- Use a knife or a spoon to scrape the gel away from the remaining layer of the plant leaf.
- Apply the gel gently to your head and underneath your hair.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Then use shampoo to rinse the gel off your scalp.
Note: Store-bought aloe vera gel also works.
4. Have a coconut oil and tea tree oil massage
Coconut oil fights fungi which can help get rid of dandruff. Apply coconut oil in the following way:
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with 5 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off in the morning.
5. Use lemon juice.
Lemon juice has acids that break down the fungus that is causing your dandruff. A good way to apply lemon juice to your hair is by doing the following:
- Put 2 tablespoons of lemon juice on your scalp and massage it.
- Let it sit for a minute.
- Then, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 cup of water.
- Rinse your hair with this mixture.
Note: You can always repeat the following steps before your daily shower for better results.
6. Use orange peel
Orange peel is believed to contain calcium, vitamin A, magnesium, and dietary fiber which are good for a healthy body. It has to be prepared the following way if you want it to work:
- Take the orange peel and squeeze lemon juice on it.
- Add it to a food processor and blend it until it turns into a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and let it dry for about 30 minutes.
- After this, wash your hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo.
7. Use baking soda
Baking soda has antifungal properties that can be beneficial in treating dandruff. Apply baking soda to your hair in the following way:
- Apply it directly to your wet hair.
- Massage it into your scalp.
- Let it sit for around 1-2 minutes.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
8. Use olive oil
Olive oil is very good for temporarily removing dandruff flakes from your hair. How to do it:
- Apply a little bit of olive oil to scaly patches;
- After an hour, use a comb or brush on the affected area.
Note: Try not to use too much olive oil or your hair will get oily.