How to Remove Fake Eyelashes Without Hurting Your Eyes
For people who like wearing false eyelashes before attending a special event or simply to enhance and get a more penetrating look in their daily life, sooner or later there comes a time to remove them and take a break. 5-Minute Crafts will show you 2 step-by-step methods on how to do this without damaging your eyes or hurting your natural lashes. We’ve also added a bonus with a few tips at the end of the article.
Before you start, you have to remove all makeup from your face.
- Remove your makeup as you usually do, but pay special attention to your eye makeup. This way, you can easily see where your extensions begin and where your natural lashes end.
- Put makeup remover on a cotton pad or wipe and run it over your eye area and lashes. Be sure to thoroughly remove all mascara and eyeliner.
Method 1: With oil (coconut or olive oil)
- Apply the oil to a cloth pad, towel, or wipe. Make sure it’s soaked with the oil for it to work.
- Then, close your eyes and apply the oil to your eyelid. Keep it gently pressed for at least 3 minutes for it to act. The idea is that it will soften the glue that keeps the false eyelashes in place.
- Repeat this procedure on both eyelids.
- Take a cotton swab and dampen it with oil. Then use it to remove the fake eyelashes. You just have to start by pulling them down from the inner part of the eye.
- If needed, you can apply more oil to the swab or use a new one. Avoid pulling the fake eyelashes with your fingers, this could tear and damage your natural lashes.
- It’s very important to keep your eyes closed during the entire procedure to prevent the oil from entering and irritating them. If this happens, just wash them with plenty of cold water.
After removing your false eyelashes, wash your face with slightly warm water using your regular facial cleanser. This will help remove any oil residue from your skin and it will help keep it out of your eyes as well.
Method 2: With eyelash extension glue remover
- Let’s start by placing the pads under your eyes to protect your skin. To do that you first have to remove the back of the adhesive side. Then, stick it on with the round side facing up, toward the eye. Press lightly on the surface to hold it in place.
- This product will help keep the remover fluid from touching your eyebags, which could cause itching or irritation.
- Apply some of the eyelash glue remover liquid to a clean mascara brush.
- Close the eye you are going to work on to prevent the solution from entering the eye. Drag the brush over the lashes, starting at the root and moving outward.
- Let the remover work for a few minutes. It will dissolve the glue so you can remove the extensions easily. Read the label to see exactly how long it needs to act, every brand might have different times and requirements.
- After waiting the time indicated in the instructions of the glue remover, you can remove the false eyelashes. You’ll need 2 swabs that you’ll use to pull the extensions downward. You can also just use your fingers, but it might be easier to do with the swabs.
- Remove them gently, avoiding your natural lash line.
- Repeat the procedure to remove the false eyelashes from both eyes.
- When finished, use an eye makeup cleanser to remove the rest of the residue from the glue. Soak a pad and wipe it over the eyelids. Make sure the area is completely clean before going to bed or before applying new false eyelashes.
Tips and suggestions
It’s important that you check with a specialist before performing any of these procedures at home. They can guide you through how to do it easily and pain-free. Also check with your dermatologist about the products you will use, because depending on your skin type they may cause some irritation.
- If you want to remove your eyelashes using the first method, you could start with a facial steam bath. This will help soften the glue applied to the false eyelashes.
- Heat water and pour it into a deep bowl. Cover your head with a towel or cloth and lean over the steam. Don’t get too close to the container because you could burn yourself or cause irritation to your skin. Let it act for at least 15 minutes.
- You could add a few drops of lavender, peppermint, or eucalyptus essential oil to the water. This will not only provide a delicious aroma, but will also help you relax while you wait. Then, follow the step-by-step procedure using the coconut or olive oil method.
When you are done removing your false lashes, comb your natural lashes always starting from the roots and moving outward, using a clean mascara brush.