Why Rice Water and Rice Masks Are Good for Your Hair and How to Prepare Them
For centuries, rice water has been used by Asian women for their beauty “rituals.” The inhabitants of the Huangluo Yao Village, in China, are famous for their long hair and claim that it is the result of using this product.
5-Minute Crafts tells you 3 ways to prepare rice water at home, and in the bonus, you will find 2 options for hair masks that you can also make easily.
Benefits of rice water
According to scientific studies, rice water is rich in the vitamins and minerals that are necessary for hair to look healthier, as it repairs it and improves its elasticity. It also contains antioxidants, so it has an anti-aging effect.
Rice water helps hair growth and makes it look stronger, shinier, and softer. One of the components found in rice is inositol, a carbohydrate that enters the hair and rebuilds it from the inside out.
Soaked rice water for the hair
This method of preparation is the simplest and quickest—perfect for those who don’t have much time.
1. Take 1 cup of uncooked rice.
2. Place the rice in a colander and rinse well to remove all the dirt it may have.
3. Place the rice in a bowl and add 2 to 3 glasses of water. Let it act for about 30 minutes.
4. After the indicated time, strain the rice water into a clean container and it will be ready to use. Do not throw away the rice you used, you can cook it.
Boiled rice water for the hair
Using this method of preparation, the rice water will be more concentrated. Generally, it is then diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10. The oilier the hair, the lower the concentration should be.
1. Put 1 cup of rice in a pot and pour in 2 cups of water. Cook the rice as usual.
2. Once cooked, strain the rice and pour the water into a clean container. When it cools, it will be ready to use.
Fermented rice water
1. Rinse 1 cup of uncooked rice in a colander to remove dirt. Place the washed rice in a bowl and add 1 cup of water. Stir well until the water becomes cloudy.
2. Strain the rice and keep the water. Put it in a plastic container with a lid and let it ferment at room temperature for 12-24 hours. This will release the minerals and vitamins. Do not let it ferment longer than the indicated time, it could spoil.
3. Once the rice water is fermented, store it in the refrigerator until you want to use it.
Method for applying rice water
After shampooing, rinse thoroughly with tap water. Apply the rice water on your hair and massage well. Leave it on for about 20 minutes, then rinse with plenty of warm water. Use this product as a treatment once a week.
Homemade brown rice hair mask
Applying a rice mask is one way to take care of your hair to reduce damage and keep it in shape.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup of brown rice
- 2 tbsp of coconut milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp of almond oil (optional)
1. Rinse the rice to remove any dirt it may contain. Put it in a bowl and let it soak for a few hours. Then strain and make a fine, smooth paste using a fork or food processor.
2. Place 3-4 tablespoons of the resulting paste in a bowl.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut milk to the rice paste and stir well.
4. Then add the egg white and blend gently so that the ingredients are well integrated.
5. This step is optional. You can add a tablespoon of almond oil to the mask. This way, the paste will be smoother and will also have the benefits of almond oil. Your mask is now ready to use.
- Once you comb your hair well, apply the mask from the roots to the ends and let it act between 30-45 minutes. Then rinse your hair with plenty of water or wash it with shampoo.
Rice keratin for the hair
Rice keratin is a type of hair mask that can help your hair appear smoother and reduce frizz.
You will need:
- 5 cups of water
- 2 cups of white rice
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
1. Wash the rice and put it in a bowl, add water, and let it soak until the rice is soft, as if it had been cooked.
2. Once the grains are soft, strain the rice, keeping the water. Put the grains into a blender and add half a cup of the preserved water.
3. Add the starch, coconut milk, and coconut oil to the blender.
4. Blend well until a homogeneous consistency is obtained.
- Apply the mask on the hair with your hands or using a dye brush from the roots to the ends, massaging each strand. Once the mixture has been applied, put on a shower cap and let it work. If the hair is very damaged, leave the mask on overnight. If the hair is not very damaged, one hour will be enough. Then wash your hair as usual. Use this treatment once or twice a week.