How to Use a Waterpik
A Waterpik is an alternative to regular dental floss. This device is used to remove the remains of food and bacteria from between the teeth before it all turns into plaque.
5-Minute Crafts has prepared these instructions on how to use a Waterpik. We’ll also talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the device, compared to dental floss.
What a Waterpik looks like
A Waterpik is a device that sprays water. The power of the stream can be controlled with a special button on the device.
A typical Waterpik has:
- a water tank (200-800 ml)
- on/off button
- stream power button
- a handle and a nozzle
Additionally, there might be a nozzle box to store all the different nozzles.
There are portable Waterpiks (cordless) and stationary (those than require a power outlet). The portables ones have smaller water tanks which makes them great for traveling. The stationary ones have bigger water tanks so you don’t have to fill the tank while flossing. But stationary Waterpiks need power, so they are not the best choice for traveling.
Advantages and disadvantages of Waterpiks
Advantages of Waterpiks:
- Compared to regular dental floss, Waterpiks are better at cleaning the spaces between teeth if there are braces, or if you have nonremovable bridgework, crowns, or dental implants.
- They are easy to use and they don’t require any special skills.
- They are better at cleaning the spaces that are hard to reach.
- They don’t damage your gums during cleaning.
Disadvantages of Waterpiks:
- They don’t always remove all the plaque.
- They are more expensive than dental floss.
- Water splashes a lot which might get on your clothes and other nearby surfaces.
How to use a Waterpik
1. Fill the water tank with warm filtered water, put on your individual nozzles, and set the necessary power of the stream.
2. Bend over the sink and put the device into your mouth. Close your mouth a little to prevent the water from splashing everywhere. Turn on the device, aim the tip at the gums, and, moving from tooth to tooth, clean plaque and food from the spaces in between your teeth.
3. Use the Waterpik for at least 2 minutes. After that, turn it off, remove your nozzle, and wash it with water.
When to use a Waterpik
Just like dental floss, Waterpiks are used at least once a day before the morning or evening teeth brushing. Also, you can use a Waterpik to floss your teeth every time pieces of food get stuck between them. However, when you are at work, on vacation, or in a restaurant, it’s not always convenient to use a Waterpik. In these cases, we recommend using dental floss as usual and a Waterpik when you are at home.