How to Artfully Arrange Pillows In Your Home
While decorating your house, we often tend to focus on the bigger things like furniture, paint, lighting, and a lot more. But we often tend to overlook the power of pillows and their arrangement in the given space, like on couches or on beds. Pillows are the easiest way to charm up your room. Let 5-Minute Crafts help you out with a few pillow arrangement ideas that’ll spruce up your space in no time.
On the couch
1. Form a base
You can begin by keeping 2 big matching pillows at the end of the couch. They’ll help in setting the tone for the entire couch organization.
2. Keep it uniform
If you don’t like patterns, that’s okay too. They’re not compulsory when it comes to design. Choosing a bold color with no patterns makes a lot of difference in your home decor too.
3. Begin layering
Once the base has been established on the couch, you can also opt for adding another layer of pillows in a different fabric and of a slightly smaller size. If you want a formal look, add matching ones, and if you want a varied style, then don’t match them. There are also many layering methods you can follow, like single, 2-layer, and 3-layer styles.
- In single-layer styling, you can choose to keep large-sized pillows and high-impact styles to make a lot of difference.
- In 2-layer styling, you can experiment with different styles, textures, and patterns.
- In 3-layer styling, you can try a solid, and a small-scale and large-scale pattern.
4. Mix textures, sizes, and shapes.
If you’re someone who loves textures, try having more pillows, like around 5-7, and try pastels, global, and bohemian to begin with. When you aim for going cohesive with the pillow arrangement, it will surely keep the mess at bay.
Apart from textures, you can also go for varied sizes to create a comfortable arrangement.
To keep the arrangement interesting, try having some uniquely shaped pillows in the mix too like the knotted ones or a textured one in velvet.
5. Try having an odd number of pillows.
When including odd numbers in design it makes the arrangement look comfortable and natural. If you have an average-sized sofa, go for 5 pillows. If you have a smaller one, go for 3.
6. Include lumbar pillows.
Instead of keeping the traditional and standard square pillows on the sofa, you can keep lumbar-style pillows. Lumbar means it relates to your lower back. So investing in these pillows is great for your lower back and they look modern in your home, among other benefits.
7. Follow the color palette.
Choose a uniform color palette and keep following it while designing your home. It will work best when you choose pillows in the same color range or complementary shades. Take a glimpse at the color scheme of your room and select a color you love for an accent.
On the bed
Basic things to remember:
- If the headboard of your bed stands 2 ft or higher (60 cm or more), then you may need multiple pillows for your decor.
- If you have no headboard, then the basic pillow arrangement is enough.
- If you have open-frame metal headboards, then you need a small number of pillows to not make your bed look overloaded.
- There are 4 types of pillows used in the methods below: standard, euro, king, and bolster.
- Standard pillows are the smallest sleeping pillows for twin or double beds. Its dimensions are 20″ x 26″ (51×66 cm)
- Euro pillows are square-sized pillows that can be placed on queen and king-sized beds. The dimensions of this pillow are 26″ x 26″ (66×66 cm). Sometimes they come covered with decorative pillowcases called euro shams.
- King pillows are of extra-long size: 20″ x 36″ (51×91 cm), and are ideal for king-sized beds.
- A bolster is a long cylindrical pillow for a bed or a couch.
A: King-size bed arrangement
- Begin by using 2 king pillows as a base, by resting them against the headboard.
- Then place 3 euro pillows next.
- Keep the remaining king pillows ahead of the euro pillows.
- Place a bolster in the center.
- Begin by using 2 king pillows as shown in method 1.
- Then keep 3 euro pillows in front of them.
- Next, place 3 accent pillows in a linear fashion or 2 placed in a linear fashion and the last one in front of them.
- Here we begin by placing 3 euro pillows as the base.
- Then, keep 2 king pillows in front of them.
- Next, keep 2 standard pillows.
- Then an accent pillow kept front and center.
- Begin by using 2 euro pillows placed at an equal distance.
- Next, keep 2 king pillows in front of them
- Keep 2 more king pillows in front of the previous ones.
- Place the bolster in the center of the arrangement.
- You can also experiment with shams and pillowcases.
B: Queen-size bed arrangement
- Begin by using 2 standard pillows as a base.
- Then keep 2 euro pillows in front of them.
- Next, keep the remaining standard pillows in front of the euro pillows.
- Place accent pillows centered or staggered in the forefront.
- You can also experiment with pillow shams.
- Begin by using 2 standard pillows as a base.
- Next, keep 2 euro pillows in front.
- Place a bolster in the forefront.