How to Clean Roller Blinds
Just like ordinary blinds, roller blinds require regular cleaning. This is because they accumulate dirt and dust that needs to be removed in order to keep the blinds looking nice.
5-Minute Crafts wants to share how to clean roller blinds correctly and how often this procedure should be done.
For cleaning roller blinds, you’ll need:
- a vacuum cleaner with a nozzle for cleaning blinds
- a bowl or a tub
- warm water
- mild detergent
- a sponge
- a brush with soft bristles
- a laundry rack
- gloves for protecting your hands
- Extend the roller bind fully.
- Vacuum it using a special nozzle. Move the vacuum cleaner handle from left to right, gradually moving from top to bottom.
- Prepare a soapy solution. To do this, dissolve 1 tbsp of the detergent in a quarter of a gallon of clean water. Mix until a thick foam appears. Make sure the composition of the detergent doesn’t contain aggressive chemicals or bleaches — they could ruin and discolor the blinds.
- Soak the sponge in the soapy solution and wring it out.
- Thoroughly wipe the blind with the sponge. Scrub tough stains with the abrasive part of the sponge. Make sure to rinse the sponge as you go to keep it clean.
- Let the blinds dry and afterward, you can retract them if necessary.
Deep cleaning for fighting very tough stains
- Prepare a soapy solution. Dissolve a mild detergent in a tub or bowl in an amount that will be enough for producing a thick foam.
- Extend the roller blinds, remove the fabric, and soak them in the tub with the detergent. Leave them for 2-3 hours.
- Take a brush with soft bristles and clean the front and the back part of the blinds.
- Rinse the blinds with clean water to remove the dirt and the detergent.
- Place the blinds on a laundry rack and let them dry properly.
- Attach them back to the retracting mechanism.
The frequency of cleaning
Conduct a regular cleaning no less than 2 times a month. It will help you to get rid of the dirt and dust in a timely manner and prevent the formation of stubborn stains. If they appear, do a deep cleaning according to the instructions above.