How to Make a Fairy-Tale Terrarium
Terrariums are little gardens kept in glass containers, perfect for people who live in an apartment or just don’t have the time to start a garden in their own backyard. With a little imagination, you can make something straight out of a storybook.
We at 5-Minute Crafts want to help bring a little bit of fantasy into your home, so we’re sharing tips with you on how to create a fairy-tale terrarium.
Choose the type of plant that’s perfect for you.
Pick your glass case.
- You can repurpose old glass items around the house, like an old fishbowl or tank. But whether you repurpose an old case or buy a new one, it’s important to clean it before using it. It’s usually best to choose an open glass case for low moisture plants and a closed case for those that like humidity.
- Make sure you choose the right container size. If you want a small terrarium, be prepared to only be able to grow moss or a small plant in it. Bigger cases are more preferable since you can create whole ecosystems in them and add different decorations.
Prepare for your plants.
- Fill the bottom of your terrarium with rocks or gravel. If you want something more artistic, you can try using crushed pottery or glass marbles. This helps prevent the soil from getting too soggy and is important for the plants.
- Add activated charcoal as well to help draw toxins out of the water and soil.
- Add a layer of wet moss to the charcoal. This will help prevent the soil from sinking to the bottom.
- Add your soil or growing medium. Shop around to find the soil that best suits the plants you want to grow. The soil should be damp, but not muddy.
- Make some holes in the soil and start planting.
Maintain your garden.
- To provide an even water distribution, misting will be the best option to maintain your ecosystem.
- Keep your plants somewhere that’s exposed to light, but don’t place them in direct sunlight, as the glass case could end up cooking your plants.
Always keep an eye on your plants and remove those that become unhealthy or die.
- Decorate the garden whichever way you like and with whatever you can find. If you want something out of a fairy tale, maybe add some porcelain or plastic characters, like fairies. If you want it to portray a day at the beach, add seashells. Some people even add toys, lights, or animals, like snails (just make sure it’s safe for them).