The Dog Breeds People Often Confuse
We’ve all made mistakes when we tried to guess a breed of a certain dog. And it’s not surprising. Some breeds look very much like each other. For example, even dog experts can’t always tell Alaskan Malamutes from Siberian Huskies.
With 5-Minute Crafts, you will learn to tell apart dog breeds that many people confuse.
Collie and Sheltie
Collies and shelties are very similar. Yet, there are some differences.
- Shelties are smaller than colllies.
- Collies have longer faces than shelties.
- Collies are calmer than shelties.
Both breeds are great with children, very friendly, and communicative.
Golden Retriever and Labrador Retriever
Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers are very popular dog breeds that are often confused. They are similar not only in appearance but also in their characters. These dogs are kind, friendly, and easy to train. Golden Retrievers are usually calmer than Labradors. This is how you can tell one from the other:
Puli and Komondor
Puli and Komondors are hard to tell from each other. Both breeds have a very unusual fur, more like dreadlocks. But there are some ways to find out which dog you are looking at:
- Pulis are much smaller than Komondors.
- Komondors always have white fur but their puppies can be cream colored.
- Pulis might be white, grey, and black.
- Komondors are quite calm.
- Pulis are active.
Both dogs’ fur requires a lot of care.
Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu
Both Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzus are very cute and similar dogs. They have gorgeous long fur. They were bred in Asia and have the same bloodline. Lhasa Apsos are parents of Shih Tzus.
Frenchie and Boston Terrier
Frenchies and Boston Terriers are also often confused. You can tell them apart like this:
- Boston Terriers have tuxedo-patterned fur. They have white patches on their faces and chests.
- Frenchies are bigger and more muscular than Boston Terriers.
- Boston Terriers are taller than Frenchies.
- Boston Terriers have longer legs.
- The nose and face of a Boston Terrier are wider than those of a Frenchie.
- Frenchies have standing curled ears, like a bat.
- Boston Terriers have pointed ears.
American Foxhound and Beagle
Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky
Even very experienced dog breeders can confused Alaskan Malamutes with Siberian Huskies. If you know the following, you can tell them apart:
- Alaskan Malamutes are bigger than Siberian Huskies.
- Malamutes have bigger heads than Huskies and the ears are further apart and facing forward.
- Huskies’ ears are high and pointed up.
- Malamutes never have blue eyes while Huskies have bright-blue eyes.
- Huskies’ fur is the same length around the entire body. It’s smooth and soft.
- Malamutes’ fur is longer in some areas, such as the shoulders, neck, and over the rump. It’s quite rough.
Akita Inu and Shiba Inu
Akita Inus and Shiba Inus look very similar. The main difference is the size:
American Eskimo and Samoyed
Toy Terrier and Chihuahua
Some people confuse Toy Terriers and Chihuahuas. It’s probably because of their small sizes and the similar appearance of their fur. Both breeds may have long and short fur. But there are still some differences:
- Chihuahuas can have any color but Toy Terriers have certain standards: solid red, black and tan, brown and tan, blue and tan, sable, and brown sable.
- Chihuahuas have rounder heads that are apple-shaped. They have big round eyes that are a little convex.
- Toy Terriers have longer faces. Their eyes shouldn’t be convex but some still have such eyes, so they are easily confused with Chihuahuas.
- Toy Terriers have very elegant body shapes. They have very thin bones, long legs and necks.
- If you compare these breeds, you will see that Toy Terriers are taller and Chihuahuas are longer.
Japanese Chine and Pekingese
Pekingese and Japanese Chine are also easily confused. These are small dogs with long fur and similar faces. But there are still some differences:
- Japanese Chines have longer fur.
- Pekingese may have long and short fur.
- Pekingese have an almost flat muzzle with a characteristic fold above the nose.
- Japanese Chines don’t have such flat muzzles, they are more pointed.
- Japanese Chines are usually 8 to 11 inches and weigh of 4 to 9 pounds.
- Pekingese are usually 6 to 9 inches and they usually weigh 7 to 14 pounds.
Cane Corso and Boxer
Cane Corsos and Boxers are dogs that look very similar. But there are still some hints to tell them apart:
Belgian Malinois and German Shepherd
Belgian Malinois and German Shepherds are often used as service dogs. These breeds are very similar and they are easy to confuse. It’s easier to tell them apart by their fur:
- Belgian Malinois is more blond or fawn in their coloring, they have a black mask with black ears.
- German Shepherds have a darker color around the entire body.
- Belgian Malinois is smaller and lighter than a German Shepherd
- The length of a Malinois body is about the same as its height.
- German Shepherds are longer with stronger bodies.