A Guide to Different Dress Codes
Going to an event is a great way to meet new people, make connections, and have some fun. However, there are various occasions with different rules for dressing. Whether you are going to a party, a fundraiser, a gala, or a dinner, you have to be dressed appropriately for the event. But how can you be sure that you have dressed right? 5-Minute Crafts created a simple guide to what attire to wear for which occasion.
You can wear comfortable clothing.
- Women can wear a plain t-shirt, jeans, shorts, a summer dress, a long and short skirt, a button-down blouse, sneakers, heels, and boots.
- Men can wear a plain t-shirt, a polo shirt, jeans, cargo shorts, Bermuda shorts, a sweater, a button-down shirt, sneakers, sandals, and loafers.
Bonus tip: For an outdoor event, it’s better to wear sneakers than heels. Heels can get stuck in soft ground.
This is the attire that is typically worn to work at an office.
- Women can wear dresses, skirts, pants, khakis, sweaters, open-collar shirts, knit shirts, boots, heels, loafers, and brogues.
- Men can wear khakis, slacks, polo shirts, collared shirts, button-down shirts, open-collar shirts, a tie, if they want, loafers, and dress shoes.
Smart casual or dressy casual is a merging of casual and business outfits.
- Women can wear skirts, dresses, slacks, dressy tops, dark jeans that look neat without holes, collared shirts, blazers, heels, heeled booties, and ornate flats.
- Men can wear khakis, trousers, jeans that look neat without holes, vests, button-down shirts, open-collar shirts, polo shirts, blazers, seasonal sport coats, boat shoes, loafers, Chelsea boots, and Oxford shoes.
Bonus tip: Opt for a sharp, neat, and stylish look.
This is a polished version of office wear.
- Women can wear a business-style dress, a suit, stockings, depending on the weather, high heels, low heels.
- Men can wear business suits, matching vests — optional, dress shirts, conservative ties, dark dress socks, and dress shoes.
Bonus tip: Choose clothing in black, navy blue, gray, or brown.
This attire is more elegant than business attire but just one step below black-tie attire.
- Women can wear a little black dress, cocktail dress, dressy separates, a long dressy skirt and top, heels.
- Men can wear a dark suit, long ties, matching vests (optional), dark dress socks, and dress shoes.
Bonus tip: The dress is no shorter than 2 inches above the knee.
Formal / Black tie / Black tie optional
Formal, Black Tie, and Black Tie Optional are one of the most classy dress codes.
- Women can wear floor-length evening dresses, dressy cocktail dresses, elegant little black dresses, heels.
- Men can wear a tuxedo, matching trousers, a formal white shirt, a black bow tie, shirt studs, cuff links, a black cummerbund or vest, black dress socks, and black patent shoes.
Bonus tip: Put on your most elegant jewelry and do your hair in a stylish updo or a partial updo.