How to Make a Homemade Scrub for Your Scalp
Exfoliation on the scalp removes any leftovers from hairstyling products, dirt, excess skin, grease, and dead skin cells that accumulate at your hairs’ roots. A scrub massage improves the blood circulation of the scalp.
One shouldn’t spend tons of money on ready-made scrubs in stores. 5-Minute Crafts is sharing simple recipes to make effective scrubs right at home.
The general principle of preparing a scalp scrub and some tips
- Homemade scalp scrubs include ingredients that mechanically cleanse the surface of the skin (also known as abrasive agents), like sea salt or regular salt, sugar, clay, ground coffee, fruit pits, etc. In order to reduce the abrasiveness of these ingredients and to give proper care to the scalp as well as nourish the hair roots, substances with an oily base, such as olive (burdock or argan) oil or honey, are added to them.
- Opt for fine salt or salt-based scrubs because large particles can scratch your skin.
- Apply the scrub to wet hair and only at the root area.
- Wash your hair with shampoo after the exfoliation procedure.
- Peeling shouldn’t be done more than 1-2 times a week. More frequent scrubbing can lead to excessive sebum production.
- Those who have blonde hair shouldn’t use coffee-based scrubs because it can result in darkening the hair.
- Don’t use scrubs if your scalp has any present damage or injuries (like infections or abrasions).
- Before using a homemade scrub, test it on a small area of your skin to make sure you’re not allergic to its components.
Recipe #1: sea salt and olive oil scrub
How to make it: Mix the ingredients until smooth. Massage the mixture into the scalp for about 3 minutes. Then wash your hair with shampoo and rinse thoroughly with running water.
Recipe #2: oatmeal and brown sugar scrub
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of oats
- 2 tbsp of hair conditioner
How to make it: Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Apply the scrub to the scalp with circular movements. Then rinse the hair thoroughly.
Recipe #3: coffee scrub
- 2 tsp of ground coffee
- 1 tsp of liquid honey
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- An egg yolk
How to make it: Mix the ingredients until smooth. Massage it into the scalp. After that, rinse your hair thoroughly with water and shampoo.
Recipe #4: sea salt and honey scrub
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
How to make it: Mix the ingredients. Apply to the scalp and massage for 5 minutes. Rinse with warm water and wash the hair with shampoo.