How to Use Lemon in the Kitchen: 4 Ways
Read on for a quick 5-Minute Crafts guide to learn how you can use lemon in the kitchen.
1. Clean a wooden board.
To clean and freshen the wooden board you use for chopping, you need lemon and coarse sea or kosher salt. When you gather the ingredients, do the following:
- Cut a lemon into two pieces
- Sprinkle salt over the wooden board
- Use half a lemon to thoroughly scrub the board with the soft side down until the salt dissolves
- Leave the board for about 5 minutes, then clean off the wooden board with a sponge, rinse it, and let it dry
2. Neutralize smells from your hands.
Lemon juice can help you to remove fishy odors and fish smells from your hands after cooking. All you need to do is:
- Cut a lemon in half
- Rub your fingers and palms with the soft side of the cut lemon with a little salt added
3. Remove leftover food from a grater.
Use lemon to remove leftover food from a cheese grater and, thus, save your sponges. This simple procedure goes like this:
- Cut a lemon in two
- Take half the lemon, dip its soft side into a little salt, and scrub the grater
- Scrub the grater until you remove all of the leftovers
- When you’re done scrubbing, leave the grater for about 5 minutes. Finally, rinse the grater under running hot water
If you aren’t satisfied with how you cleaned the grater, repeat the process with the other half of the lemon.
4. Clean your food processor.
To clean your food processor, you’ll need to do the following:
- Add white vinegar or baking soda to the bowl. For every cup of hot water you’ll pour in the following step you need 1/4 cup of white vinegar or a few tablespoons of baking soda. So, doing some measuring in advance would be a good idea.
- Pour hot water and wait for it to stop bubbling. Avoid filling the entire food processor with hot water because you’ll need some room for splashing once you turn it on. Chop half a lemon and add the pieces to the mixture.
- Put the lid on and cover the top of the food processor with a towel to prevent hot water from escaping.
- Turn the food processor on and let it work for 30 to 60 seconds.
5. Pour out the contents of the bowl
6. Wipe the bowl and the lid with a soapy sponge
7. Rinse everything and let the food processor dry