What Dishes Can Be Cooked From Potatoes, and 30+ Ideas for Every Day Eats
Potatoes became an everyday product in the daily diets of residents of various countries a long time ago. It’s hard to imagine that this vegetable, or rather, a tuber, was not known to Europeans until the sixteenth century and became widespread only closer to the nineteenth century. But it was thanks to this food that the Old World displayed demographic growth. Today, there is a huge number of potato dishes to choose from.
We at 5-Minute Crafts decided to make a detailed guide on potato dishes. It will help diversify your menu with minimal ingredients.
- Classical boiled potatoes are peeled before boiling.
- Fingerling potatoes should be washed and boiled unpeeled.
- Potato gnocchi is an easy-to-prepare dish, and the dough for it is prepared from simple mashed potatoes. It should be served with sauce.
- Cepelinai is a national Lithuanian dish that resembles potato-meat dumplings.
- Pureed potatoes are a classic dish from boiled then mashed potatoes. It will take you about 55 minutes to prepare.
- Potato soup is a dish that has numerous varieties depending on the recipe and your preferences. Cook it in a classic way or as a soup-puree.
- Potato salad is a popular dish that is often cooked with mayo. This salad calls for boiled potatoes. Moreover, it’s recommended to cook boiled unpeeled potatoes for salads.
- Baked potatoes come in many different interpretations. The potatoes are baked unpeeled. Sometimes it is first recommended to boil and cut them, but it’s okay to bake raw tubers too. Perfectly baked potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. They can be cooked in the oven or microwave.
- Baked potatoes in foil can be cooked faster, and the foil preserves heat longer.
- Ash-roasted potatoes are a dish to which the ash gives a special unique flavor. You can bake the potatoes in the usual way or in foil. Season the finished potatoes with butter, sour cream, and greenery.
- Potato gratin is a baked dish in French cuisine made of sliced potatoes, cream, and cheese.
- Potato casserole comes in many different forms. Among the variety of recipes for potato casseroles, we’d like to mention options with meat, cheese, sweet potatoes, marshmallows, and others.
- Garlic and herb roasted potatoes is a popular dish where potato chunks are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The cooking time is usually 65 minutes.
- Potato pie can be made with different types of dough and the ingredients can also vary. A common feature is potatoes as the filling.
- Potato crackers are a snack that can be made from mashed potatoes in a couple of hours.
- Potato pizza is actually a classic pizza topped with potatoes. Rosemary is added for flavor.
- The scalloped potato roll is a dish that can have a variety of toppings, but its base is made from potatoes cut into thin slices.
- Potato rolls are fluffy buns made from potato dough.
- Potatoe bread is a dish where a part of the wheat flour is replaced with potatoes.
- Potato stew with veggies is a dish with a variety of ingredients.
- Creamy veggie potato stew is a tasty interpretation of a veggie stew with a special creamy sauce.
- Beef-potato stew is a dish familiar to many.
- Sour cream stewed potatoes is a dish that can be cooked by adding various products, such as bacon and cheese, for example.
- Fried potatoes is a very common dish known to many. You can fry potatoes in different types of oil, cut them into slices in various shapes, and use additional ingredients such as onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Potato pita bread is a tasty dish that is cooked from boiled potatoes and served with sauce.
- Hash browns are a famous potato treat cooked all over the world. They are made from raw grated potatoes.
- Potato flapjacks are normally cooked from mashed potatoes. They look more like pancakes than hash browns.
- Potato cutlets are a dish cooked from mashed potatoes but they have a different recipe than flapjacks. If you roll the cutlets in breadcrumbs, they will become even more appetizing.
- French fries might be not a healthy dish but they’re definitely known worldwide. To cook them, you need a slow cooker or deep fryer with vegetable oil heated to 360°F. It will take 65 minutes to cook this dish.