How to Get Rid of Bad Smells at Home
At least once in your life, you’ve probably felt that you wanted to open a window right away after you entered a stuffy room. The smell is the first thing people notice when they come into your home. And it’s something that the people who live there might not notice. Sometimes, pets or certain kinds of foods are the source of this problem and simply opening a window might not do the trick.
We at Bright Side have tried several ways to get rid of the smells in our homes and now we want to share our experience with you.
Pour 3 tbsp of vinegar into a pot.
Add a glass of water.
Boil the mix and leave it on the stove for a few minutes. The vinegar will absorb all the smells in the air.
Pour the leftovers of the solution into the kitchen sink to disinfect the drain and get rid of the bad smells.
Automatic air fresheners
- Install an automatic air freshener in the bathroom.
- Choose the scent according to your preferences.
- Don’t forget to change the batteries when it’s time.
- It will work for quite a long time and it’s really convenient because it’s automatic.
- There are many kinds of scented candles.
- Choose the candle that emits a nice smell when it’s burning.
- Don’t leave the candles unattended, and keep them away from kids and pets.
- Use bags with herbs to get rid of bad smells.
- Put the bags into your closet.
- Change them when it’s time.
- Pour a little bit of water into the plate at the top of the lamp.
- Add a few drops of essential oil.
- Put a burning candle inside the lamp.
- Don’t let the water boil or the oil might burn.
- Don’t leave a burning candle unattended.
There are many kinds of incense but they all work in the same way.
- Light the tip of the stick and extinguish the fire.
- Put the stick into a glass and let it smolder, spreading a nice smell.
- This is not for everyone. If you feel you are getting a headache, immediately stop using the incense.
- Don’t put the stick on any surfaces while it’s burning. Don’t let the ash fall on something that can easily catch fire.
Aroma diffusers for your home don’t just hide bad smells — they also create a nice atmosphere at home.
- Don’t buy these things online, choose the smell you like at the store.
- Open the lid of the diffusor and put a wooden stick into it.
- Start with a single stick or the smell might be more powerful than you expected.
- Add another stick after a few hours if the smell is not intense enough.
- The sticks will be wet, so don’t let them touch any other objects or there might be traces of oil.
To get rid of a bad smell in the trash can, use cat litter.
- Take a trash bag.
- Put some litter on the bottom.
- Throw away the trash into this bag.
Tea leaves might be able to help get rid of bad smells.
- Put tea bags in the room where you have some bad smells.
- You can put the tea bags into shoes, inside the fridge, in the microwave oven, or into your closet.
The peel of any citrus fruit is good: orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime, or tangerine.
- Take a non-stick frying pan.
- Put the peels in it.
- Set the stove at a medium temperature.
- Heat the peels for several minutes until you can smell the citrus.
- While doing it, don’t leave the stove so the peels don’t burn. When they get darker, turn down the temperature of the stove.
The smell of coffee makes you feel awake and it creates a nice atmosphere in the room.
- Put coffee beans in a non-stick frying pan.
- Turn the stove to a moderate temperature.
- Heat the beans.
- Don’t leave the stove while doing this.
- Don’t let the beans burn.
- Turn the stove off when you can smell coffee.
Wet towels hanging around the room can help absorb the bad smell.
- Wet several towels.
- Hang them in a room with an unpleasant smell.
- Open the window to improve the effect.
Modern air purifiers can easily help you get rid of bad smells. These devices are an all-in-one solution. They not only make smells disappear but also help kill viruses and some of them also work as humidifiers.
Of course, you should choose the model wisely because all of them have different functions and different coverage. But if you buy a good device, it will improve the air quality you and your family breathe by a lot.