How to Choose Scents for Creating a Special Atmosphere at Home
Each house has its own atmosphere, and one of the ways to create this is with the use of scent.
5-Minute Crafts is telling you which aromas will cheer you up and which ones can turn your apartment into a lagoon of calm.
Types of aromas
The scents we breathe in affect the emotional center of the brain. Moreover, each smell can have a different effect on the way we feel. For example:
- To reduce stress: rosemary, bergamot, lemongrass, neroli, yuzu, jasmine, and freshly-cut grass
- To calm down and relax: lavender, ilang-ilang, lemon, sea breeze, orange, sandal, and vanilla
- To cheer up: rosemary, coffee, cinnamon, peppermint, and jasmine
- To better the mood: lemon and other citruses, and jasmine
- To help concentrate: peppermint, coffee, salvia, and cinnamon
- To improve sleep: cedarwood, bergamot, lavender, rose, camomile, and hops
Scents help create an atmosphere both in the entire house and also in its separate parts. For example:
- For the bedroom, you can choose relaxing, soothing scents and those that help reduce stress.
- For the living room or kitchen, try to use cheering notes if it corresponds to the specifics of your state of being in these zones.
- For the working space, choose aromas that can cheer you up and help you concentrate.
You don’t have to go with just one scent. For example, if you want to relax after a working day, or on the contrary, get energized, the relevant scents will help you do it.
What aroma products there are
Thanks to the big variety of aroma products out there, it’s easy to find one for any taste.
An electric diffuser will provide a homogenous and strong aroma in the home for an entire day. The main thing to keep in mind is to occasionally unplug it. As a rule, such diffusers emit aromas with the help of warmth, not a fan, which is why they are noiseless.
Evaporative diffusers distribute aromas with the help of a fan inside their construction and can make a little noise.
Diffusers with reed sticks also do this job well. The sticks absorb the oil and release its aroma into the surrounding space. However, the aroma won’t be as saturated as when using an electric diffuser.
The flame of scented candles will help create an atmosphere and mood, especially if it goes well with the surrounding situation. The main thing to keep in mind is not to leave lit candles unattended and not to burn them for more than 4 hours to avoid the overheating of the wax.
A sachet is a bag with aromatic filling. These bags were worn on people’s necks in China in ancient times to blunt the smell of sweat. Today, different types of sachets can be placed in closets, in bathrooms, or under pillows.
A spray can help you refresh your space right here, right now. It will quickly fill the room with the desired scent.
Incense sticks are another way to fill a home with nice aromas. Despite the fact that they are lit, such sticks don’t burn like candles but smolder, releasing a fragrance.